Chapter 21

Five Months Later

Five Months Later...

"Why you putting all the decorations in one spot? Just- just move!" I yelled out, upset at Cairo's lack of ability to decorate a simple Christmas tree. Karter was doing a better job than him.

If there's anything I took seriously, it was the way the Christmas tree looked. Cairo's entire family was coming over tomorrow for Christmas, but he didn't decorate the house— when you ask why he says 'I don't even be at my house any more.' Like that dismisses the fact that his house was the designated spot this year.

"When I wake up, it's Christmas!" Karter said excitedly, she just wanted to open all her gifts under the tree at my house.

"Yeah, and we're gonna make cookies for Santa so he leaves you a big gift." I replied back, while putting the ornaments in my hand on the tree.

She clapped her hands happily. Christmas for her was everyday, but whatever. We finished decorating and I was cleaning up now. I realized Cairo had been sitting there with an attitude, he hasn't spoken a word. After cleaning, I sat beside him on the couch.

"What's your problem?" I asked, as I flipped through the channels, settling on some random movie.

He pushed my head away from him, "You always yelling wit that stank ass breath."

"You always got your lips on me though."

He leant over, covering my face with kisses, "You right." I laid my head against the couch, "What you get me for Christmas?"

He laughed— I've been asking for weeks, just to know If I needed to buy a better gift for him.

"I'm not telling yo big headed ass."

"That's a bad word." Karter informed her dad, making him apologize. She didn't care too much, just wanting to say something.

"You do the most." I said with a fake attitude. We watched the movie for an hour, before going to make cookies. It was getting late and Karter's bedtime was close.

I didn't feel like preparing the cookie mix from scratch so we used pre-made dough. I taught Karter step by step how to prepare the simple dessert.

After we washed our hands, I gave her a high-five. Kids liked to be congratulated on simple things.

"Now we wait for them to cook, okay?"

"Okay, It takes a long time?" She asked, while holding up six fingers.

"It takes this much." I replied and held up ten fingers, she replicated it onto hers. Her and Cairo went upstairs to shower, while I waited for the cookies to be done.

I stood by the counter, scrolling on my phone. The feeling of his cold hands on my waist made me jump.

"Moveeee." I pushed his hands off my bare skin.