Chapter 12

"I be in a loop, she be in a group

"I be in a loop, she be in a group. Brodie want her friend." I jokingly rapped while doing random arm motions and traveling around the room.

I peeped Lauryn annoyingly rubbing her forehead, "Cairo, you loud as hell." She blurted, she was irritable today because of work. Every little thing you did made her upset. This was the second time this morning she had something to say.

I put my hands up in defense, "Imma just leave the room then. Let you do your whole creative process thing alone." I expressed, as I went to shut the door, she replied.

"Wait, I didn't-" She attempted to apologize for her tone, but I shut the door. I wasn't being mean or anything, just giving her the personal space she needed so badly to avidly work.

Scrolling through instagram, it was the usual. My teammates, friends, family, etc. Instead of sitting inside all morning, I changed so I could shoot a few hoops before practice later today. It was a warm up for the warm up. Practice should run smoothly since we won our last game, but you never know with our coaches. Like Coach Q always states– you never at the top when the top is always steadily rising.

I dribbled the orange ball against the burning concrete before shooting. The ball spun around the rim like a ballerina, then falling through. My imagination displayed the crowd rising from their seats cheering me on. Sweat covered my forehead trying to relieve my high body temperature. I took another shot, the ball back boarded. You couldn't make every shot you threw, only try to make the next.

"Cairo! Your phone is ringing!" Lauryn yelled out standing by the patio doors.

I ran up while taking a sip of water, "Who is it?"

"Unknown." Was all she mumbled, before pushing the phone out in my direction.

"Hello?" I stated, not hearing a reply on the other side for a few seconds.

"Hi, I'm Celeste, a doctor at Heartstone Hospital. I'm calling because you're on both Karter Morant and Ella Page's emergency contact list. Both were injured in a car accident hours ago, Ella is stable. Karter is making her way there, she suffered a few bad injuries. If you could come in, I can better explain and give you more in depth details and information."

Upon hearing the reason for the call, my eyes flooded with tears and I physically felt my heart collapse. I remained silent, failing to accurately respond to the doctor.

I felt Lauryn repeatedly shaking me, hoping to receive some reaction. I stood disconnected from earth. This was just a really, really wicked and brutal dream, right?

"Mr. Morant, are you still there?"

"Yeah, yes. I'm on my way now." The unwanted call ended.

"Cai, what happened? Stop crying-" You couldn't just tell someone to stop crying and expect it to stop like magic. If anything the tears only came full force now, breaking through my tough dad barrier.