Chapter 5

I was awoken to a bubbly, vibrant niece

I was awoken to a bubbly, vibrant niece. The four year old jumped around on my bed— making me groan, "Kaitlyn, sit down." I said while half asleep.

"Tete let's get breakfast." She excitedly rushed out. One thing about Kaitlyn, she was going to spend money. Money she didn't have.

I said whatever came to mind first, "Go get ready." That seemed to do the trick, immediately after, my bed was back still. I forced myself to get up, knowing my other niece— Jayla, was probably up too.

Fortunately for me, I had Mondays off at the office, but some days I still went in. I walked down the stairs, catching the girls on the couch.

"Y'all dressed?" I asked, while taking a seat in the small section between them, only to annoy them.

Letting Kaitlyn dress herself was a mistake, she had on bright pink leggings, a blue dress, and her favorite sandals. I didn't bother telling her to change, if she liked it— I love it.

On the way out the door, Kaitlyn immediately spotted Karter, as Karter did the same. The girls ran across the lawns and hugged each other tightly as if they weren't just together last night.

"Tete, can Karter come with us, pleaseee?" Kaitlyn dragged out, I looked up at Cairo searching for an answer.

"We're just going to breakfast." I explained, he shook his head. The restaurant was around the corner, so instead of driving, we walked. I guess this could replace my run for today.

"Auntie Ryn, are you still vegetarian?" Jayla asked, resulting in the attention being on me. I've been a vegetarian for about five years now, the lifestyle isn't too hard.

"Yeah." I replied, she then asked what I was going to order at the restaurant.

"Probably just a salad, or see if they have meat substitutes." The younger girls continued talking as loud as they possibly could, Jayla was listening to music, and Cairo was quiet as ever.

I nudged his shoulder, "You don't ever speak?" I asked, perplexed at his quiet demeanor. I've never met someone who is always on chill.

"When I want to." He replied, so I left him alone, and continued the walk.

There were no available tables, meaning all five of us had to slide into a booth. The girls chose to sit on one side, meaning Cairo and I sat on the other.

"You want pancakes Kaitlyn?" She eagerly shook her head.

"Me too!" Karter added, "Sounds delicious!" I replied, while flipping through the menu.

I removed my sunglasses and took a few pictures of myself. Cairo was fully engaged and mesmerized by the phone's screen. He dropped his left hand below the table, simply rubbing on my thigh. Every now and then he would give it a light squeeze, but I paid no mind.

We all placed our orders, and sooner than later the meals arrived. I settled for just a cup of tea, hummus, and pita chips. This place wasn't too vegetarian friendly. To be honest, my breakfast wasn't too delicious, I picked around it while being entertained by the girls.

"Try sum of this." Cairo said, while passing me his fork. He ordered some special they had, but I only wanted to try the sweet potato hash.

The hash was heavenly, but I didn't wanna eat his entire breakfast so I attempted to give him his silverware back.

"You like it?" He questioned, then sipped his drink. I shook my head, "It's good." Cairo kept his left hand on my thigh the entire time while eating with his right hand.

"Eat some more." He demanded, but I didn't want to seem greedy.

"But I don't-" I was cut off by him speaking.

"Lauryn, eat it." He could probably sense that I wasn't the biggest fan of my order. I finished his hash and let him finish the rest of his meal. I noticed almost everyone was finished, and Jayla was half asleep with a full stomach.

The waitress came to see how to separate the check, "All on one bill please." Cairo spoke before I could, leaving his card with the waitress.

"I could've paid for everyone." I stated, as we started to rise from our seats.

"I could pay too." He replied, then took my glasses, wearing them on his face. I simply laughed at the amusing action.

"Smile y'all." Jayla held her phone up in the air, everyone smiled, and a few held up the peace sign.

"Tag me in that Jay." Cairo insisted, making Jayla agree with a head shake.

I just knew she was dying inside, but could you blame her? It's not everyday you eat breakfast and take pictures with an NBA player.

"Can me and Karter play dress up?" Kaitlyn asked.

"Karter has to go with her mom today." Cairo spoke, making the girls upset. They stood with angry faces. Once the waitress was back with his card, we left. After a twenty minute walk, we were finally back in the familiar neighborhood.

"Karter, your mom's here." Cairo spoke, the once sad girl now looked bright and excited.

Cairo leaned against me, forcing all his body weight on me as I tried to walk. "You heavy as hell." I said, making him smack his lips and smush my head. His arms covered the bare part of my stomach, that my shirt didn't.

"I'll be back later, I got practice today." Cairo commented, then he and Karter continued walking, while the girls and I went into the house. I reached up into my hair, realizing he still had my favorite pair of sunglasses.

I hate a slow burn story, so I'm avoiding that by all means necessary, we like pressure over here