Chapter 11

"When's the issue going to be resolved?" I heard Lauryn ask while pacing the bedroom floor

I tried to sleep in and ignore her, but that was hard to accomplish. I rolled over tapping my phone screen, it wasn't even nine in the morning yet.

Once she stopped pacing, she stood with her hand on her waist like somebody's parent. She fell asleep wearing one of my tees, it actually was a little small length wise but she wore underwear to shield what the shirt didn't.

"Okay, thank you." She shook her head, "Yeah, you too." She ended the phone call looking stressed, maybe a stronger synonym was needed.

"You okay?" I asked, while covering my eyes with my arm.

"Yeah, sorry for waking you." She apologized, I heard her quickly typing on her phone.

"Come lay down Ryn." I pleaded, hoping she would, so I could go back to sleep. I heard her phone lock, her footsteps grew louder the closer she got. I rolled over, wrapping my arm around her stomach, and laid my head on her chest. My eyes slowly started to close as I listened to her heartbeat balance.

A few hours later, I was completely awake while Lauryn was sound asleep. I decided to make breakfast, keeping in mind Lauryn's no meat thing. I made potato hash, in college the kitchen served it everyday, so I learned how to make my own and perfect the recipe.

First I diced some potatoes and fried them, then I cut up red and green peppers, onions, and jalapeños. I threw them in the hot pan along with some frozen corn.

I fried the mixture up for a few minutes, then covered a section with cheese. I threw it in the oven, to finish cooking whatever didn't earlier.

"Lauryn, come eat." I yelled up the stairs, after yelling a few more times, she came down.

"You cooked?" She asked in between a yawn. I shook my head and started to fix our plates.

"You don't have work today?" I asked, realizing if she did, she probably would've been gone by now.

She picked through the food, ensuring I didn't accidentally put in meat. "Nope, I'm out the rest of the week. There was an issue with the power, and they can't get electricians out until two days from now." She explained, actually now eating the food.

I didn't reply, "Thank you for cooking." She thanked, her left hand twirled with a piece of hair in the back of head. I just noticed she does that often, twisting her worries away.

"You don't have to thank me for everything." I expressed, truthfully.

She shook her head, "What's on today's agenda?" She asked.

"Nothing heavy, I gotta get Karter today, so we might do something."

"Okay, I have to find my best friend a gift for her birthday." After eating, I got dressed, then we ran over to Lauryn's house so she could change and fix her hair.