Chapter 16

Mature Content

Mature Content

I finally woke up in my own bed, instead of the jail-like couch at the hospital. Those blankets felt like sandpaper scratching my skin with every move. Not to mention the concrete pillows.

Karter was doing just fine, this was her last week at the hospital. My mom and I rotated staying the night with her. Karter only stayed so long because they wanted to follow the first few weeks of her recovery. I didn't mind, I was glad the doctor wanted to watch her recover, it would ensure everything ran smoother when she returned home.

The sun flashed brightly through the blinds, sunshine. It felt like a pressure was relieved off my chest that I didn't even realize was there.

Without knowing Lauryn, I doubt I would've won the case, but nonetheless I'm glad I did. I just didn't want the world in my business, with an outside lawyer I didn't know If they were going to talk.

But looking at the notifications and mentions on my phone, I didn't have to worry about that. Multiple headlines read along the lines of 'Grizzlies Player, Cairo Morant, Wins Custody Battle Against Ella Page.'

This was the last thing I needed to happen. I knew I couldn't have an all exclusive life, but there were boundaries that shouldn't be crossed. I don't even know how the media found out. Knowing how much Ella spites me now, I wouldn't be surprised if she aired out the case, or one of her fake ass friends.

Looking through the comments, some said:

@wynteramore A child should always be with their mother.

@kailynx proud of him. yall drag men for not taking care of their children and drag em when they do.

@xoxokp Y'all dissing a man that's providing for his child? Weird.

@paulaaaa Ella deserved better.

@diormichelle mind y'all fucking business damn

I couldn't read any more. The comments were a mix of every outsider opinion, that I could care less about. Y'all always looking in from the outside, swearing you know some shit. I deactivated all my socials, then let the team know I wouldn't be at practice today. I haven't played the last two games because of my situation, but that's fine, I'm on salary anyways.

I heard a small sound at the door, looking out the window I saw the mail lady. I stepped outside to get some fresh air, flipping through the new mail, it was nothing of importance.

Today, I planned on doing something special for Lauryn. Before I left the hospital yesterday, I asked my mama for ideas. She suggested I cook for her and have a backyard picnic. I didn't want to be in the spotlight today, so something private was best. I wanted to surprise Lauryn, I know she's been overloaded with work.