Chapter 29

"Nothing transpires at Hogwarts without my knowing about it," said Dumbledore to Ben, Dani and Merula. "It seems you've resurrected your friend group here."

"I promise it wasn't for the sole purpose of Patricia Rakepick's assassination," said Merula.

"I'd very much hope that IS the case," the headmaster replied. "No matter what your aims for this group are-if you have any-I hope that this can be a safe place for members to cope with their grief. It's good to have friends to support you through the healing process."

"I think it already is," said Dani. "We've known one another for years and know that we can lean on one another during difficult times. And if I get any hint that it isn't, I'll try my best to fix that as soon as possible."

Dumbledore nodded. "What I've heard today is much more reassuring that I anticipated, and I do hope I can see you walk the talk. Enjoy the rest of your recess."

"Thanks for bailing us out," said Ben as the students turned tail and practically ran down the spiral staircase.

"'Walk the talk'? Not a word we said up there was a lie," grumbled Merula.

"He's Albus Dumbledore, headmaster of Hogwarts, chief warlock or whatever it's called for the wizengamot, and a bunch of other stuff. He's too high above us commoners to understand how we think. Plus he's old," said Dani.

"Anyway, any news on the whomping willow?"

"Other than the obvious, nope."

Merula facepalmed. "We have an entire task force and we're still hitting dead ends."
************************************
That night, Dani trudged up to her dormitory, feeling hopeless about the R/final vault situation, until...

"Dani, were these your friend Rowan's notes?"

Alanza was sitting on her bed, waving a stack of notes. "I found these under my bed."

"It does look like her handwriting."

"She must've been a great student," said Alanza. "Her notes are a massive help. I wish I got to meet her."

Dani flopped onto her bed. She couldn't risk any more of her friends or schoolmates getting hurt or killed.
************************************
"I know this is normally Bill's job, but we're practising defensive spells today," said Dani to the rest of the Circle. "We're preparing for-"

"GOT YOU!"

Filch stormed into the training grounds. "Dumbledore told me to keep an eye on you. Mr. Copper, Miss Jackson, Miss Snyde, you're coming with me."
************************************
"We WERE telling the truth!" Merula protested. "Jackson was going to teach them defensive charms, not avada kedavra!"

"I know, Miss Snyde," said Dumbledore. "Miss Jackson, may I have a RATIONAL explanation of what you were up to?"

"We were trying to teach our friends how to protect themselves from R."

"Miss Jackson, as I've told you many times before, you're a student. It's our job as professors to keep you safe and sound here at school, not your own, especially when all you're doing is putting yourself and others in even more danger... Perhaps the three of you can think this over in detention?"

Filch rattled his chains behind them.