Flying Solo Part 4

"Can cats safely ingest metal? That son of a-"

"You're even more freaked out about this than I am," said Talbott.

"I will NEVER forgive Filch for-"

"They do say keep hope alive, don't they?"

Dani and Talbott went into the training grounds, where Filch said Mrs. Norris was. The cat was there, playing with...

"My necklace!" Talbott exclaimed. "That's definitely the clasp! And my feather. Mrs. Norris, can you PLEASE-"

"HISS!"

"What did you expect, this is Mrs. Norris!" said Dani.

Talbott thought for a moment. "I think I have an idea..."

Another few moments passed, and a dog appeared in front of Mrs. Norris' face. "Yap yap!"

"HISSSSS!!!"

"Yip yap!" The dog wagged its tail playfully.

Mrs. Norris just stared.

"Yap!" The dog picked up a nearby stick in its mouth and ran off. Mrs. Norris mewed, dropped the feather and ran after the dog, and a brown bird swooped behind her and picked it up.

When Mrs. Norris turned back to her beloved feather after losing the dog, she couldn't find it anywhere-save for two students sprinting out of the training grounds.

"MRRRRR!!!!!"
************************************
That evening, Dani had dinner with Talbott at the Ravenclaw table, with Talbott's necklace safely around his neck once again.

"Where did you get that from?" Dani finally asked.

"My mum. Her animagus form was a swan, this was one of her feathers."

Dani nodded, and Talbott went on. "I guess I just need something to distract myself. My parents disappeared around this time of year, so back-to-school has been hard for me since."

"What were they like?" said Dani. "If you feel comfortable telling me?"

"My mum was a healer at St. Mungo's for a while before she started at the ministry, and she taught me some things about herbs. My dad would occasionally write poems for the Daily Prophet, and he once published a poem I wrote when I was six. They were busy, but they always made time for me."

"I guess most people don't have half bad parents."

"Real life isn't written in novels." Come to think of it, I don't think a lot of the HPHM characters have abusive parents either.

Awkward silence, then Talbott said, "As I just said, I could use a distraction. Just tell me if you and your vault crew need anything."

"Thanks a lot, Talbott. I can think of situations where I could use a bird like you..."