Chapter 4

"Torvus, I believe this is the Dani Jackson you were telling me about?"

"Yes, of course. Dani, I'd like you to meet Firenze."

The tall, dark-skinned centaur shook Dani's hand. "Pleasure to make your acquaintance. How was your first week back at school?"

"...Very eventful."

"Torvus has told me about the adventures you and your brother have been on. Now, I believe you've prepared some offerings?"

"Oh, yes." Dani went on to introduce what she'd brought.

"I've been struggling to find time to make an updated star chart lately." Firenze studied Badeea's work. "You said one of your classmates made this, do they happen to be a Ravenclaw?"

"Yeah."

"No wonder, only a Ravenclaw would put the time and effort into this sort of thing. This is very detailed, and impressive for a 16-year-old. And the sage would also be useful for my divination. Now, about Hagrid's infamous rock cakes, I've sworn off them since I lost a tooth to one..."

Torvus and Dani flinched.

"...But the fact that you are friends with Hagrid, one of the few friends of the herd, reassures me. Now, Torvus has already told me some things about your prophecy..."

After a while of fruitless questions and answers, Firenze concluded, "I think it's exactly what it says on the tin: death."

"And is there anything I can do about it?" asked Dani.

"I'm not sure, but I'll keep an eye on the stars for you. You'll need that information to prepare for the final cursed vault."
************************************
The next day was Sunday. Dani was at the Gryffindor table as she finally finished her essay on the knitting charm (she wasn't even sure whether or not she wanted kids, and even then, she'd most definitely not become Mrs. Weasley-in terms of occupation or amount of children). Penny sat down across from her. "Um, Dani? It's about Ben."

Dani looked up. "What about him?"

"Well, um... Just then, I was arguing in the artefact room with Bea..." She broke off.

"Penny, she'll be fine. Really. Ismelda isn't Rakepick, she's just a 16-year-old who thinks murderous thoughts and apparently likes History of Magic. Besides, should we be worrying about Ben more?"

"I don't know, that's why I'm asking. He just suddenly came in and took all the skulls. I asked him what he needed them for, and he said he was using the skulls to barter at Knockturn Alley."

"That's... Sort of like him, in a weird way," said Dani. "But I'll go after him. Just in case."
************************************
Mundungus Fletcher tried to push past the teenage boy who was, apparently, trying to sell him a skull. "Me in a hur-" He noticed a familiar face in the dark street. "Ay! Yah one o' da students wih Rakepick! Tha' awful woman-"

"It's nice to see you again too, Mr. Fletcher. Ben, just-why?"

"Um... I'm trying to help? Thought maybe some shady folk here would have intel on R."

"Now if yall 'cuse meh, I gotta put as much distance as ah possibly can between meself and someone."

"Who?"

"Wizard in white robes I told yah abou'." And with that, he squeezed past the students and took off in the opposite direction.
************************************
"You two are back unusually late, Mr. Copper, Miss Jackson." said McGonagall when Ben and Dani came through the portrait hole.

"We were in Knockturn Alley," Dani admitted. "By the way, I believe we were notified to tell a professor if I have any information that might lead the authorities to Rakepick?"

"Yes, the entire wizarding world is encouraged to tell the ministry or connected witches or wizards about this sort of thing. Did the denizens of Knockturn Alley offer you any sort of that information?"

"Well, you know, Mundungus Fletcher used to work with my brother and his friends..."

"Mr. Fletcher has, apparently, been stalked by a wizard in white robes since last year. Dani suspects the wizard is part of R-you know, Rakepick's cabal."

"Oh, yes, we know. Professor Dumbledore suspects he is a student from Mahoutokoro, the Japanese wizarding school in which the students' robes turn white upon their expulsion. And looks like the quidditch team is accounted for as well," said McGonagall as seven muddy figures came in as well.

Charlie collapsed on the sofa next to his head of house. "And I still have sooo much more homework waiting for me to do!"

"If being quidditch captain is too much for you to handle, Mr. Weasley, I can give your duties to Miss Parkin." McGonagall offered.

"No thank you, professor. But I-"

A loud scream came from the back of the room (because yours truly has run out of chaotic things to happen in the Gryffindor common room-feel free to comment your suggestions). McGonagall shrugged. "I'll go see what's going on there, probably just another first-year. All your classmates have NEWTs classes now, deal with it."

The three sat in silence for a while after McGonagall left, until Charlie bolted up and said, "Oh, and have I told you guys that Bill is coming to visit?"