Chapter 28

"...So basically, we all die."

"In fact, we can all move on with our lives now, since the giant squid can just devour any member of R that gets anywhere near the lake."

"Hm... But I think I've studied somewhere that giant squids are mostly docile," Alanza piped up.

"I told you guys she'd have some advice on this," said Dani to the other co-captains. "Besides, if the final vault WAS humanly unreachable, R wouldn't be putting so much effort into beating us to it."

"So I think our next logical steps are to talk to Kettleburn and Hagrid about the grindylows," said Liz.

"And I'll get to play with Barnaby Jr.!" said Barnaby.

"If Hogwarts had more books on those, I thinking reading up on really big and really scary creatures would be useful," said Alanza.

"If Hogwarts doesn't have those books..." Dani thought aloud. "Well, who's ready to sacrifice their Hogsmeade weekend for Flourish and Blotts?"

"Hogsmeade is overrated. Copper?"

Ben groaned. "...It's what Rowan would want."
************************************
"Dragon, dragon, dragon, dragon..." Merula sang as she flipped through a book.

"Big and scary creature equals dragon," said Ben, looking up from his tome on top of a stack of books.

"Guys, there's this section on the whomping willow," said Dani. "Something something messages something something dark organization. Sounds like-"

"R?"

"Death eaters? I mean, wouldn't they have agents inside Hogwarts? I've heard Dumbledore is the only one You-Know-Who fears-"

"I think it'd be worthwhile to take a closer look-once we find a way to make sure it can't destroy something the size of my dad's car," Dani steered the conversation back on track.
************************************
"It isn't anything interesting to poke and prod at," said Sprout as she refilled a pot. "That is, unless you want to get whomped hard enough that-"

Sprout was interrupted by Fawkes swooping in, dumping a note on top of a flowerpot, then flying back out. (Dani would think the headmaster's phoenix was classier than the school owls.)

"Miss Jackson, looks like Professor Dumbledore wants to see you over break."