Chapter 6

I dont want to write
...Thanks [REDACTED]. Now what you're here for (so I'll have my head for the weekend):
"So you're saying he left the library and went straight towards the forbidden forest?"

Dani sighed. "Then he's probably already disapparated out of here. That's why he was headed to the forest."

"Alex Jackson never struck me as a bookworm, though," said Bill as they entered the library.

The group walked over to where Pince was sorting new books. "Um, Madam Pince... Have you seen Alex recently?"

"Oh, yes, he just left, in fact. I insisted on getting him what he needed only if he turned himself in to Professor Dumbledore, but he flat-out refused."

"What did he want?"

"Books on Mahoutokoro. The Hogwarts staff were informed of the-"

"Yes, we know."

"...I suppose you wouldn't want to be reminded. Your brother was quite the model patron in the library, despite his troublemaking elsewhere, on campus or otherwise."

"Interesting, he doesn't seem like a Rowan," said Dani.

"McGonagall tells me he was nearly held back most years, and she didn't have much faith in his OWLs had he taken them. No, your brother mostly came to do research, to prepare for his next adventures. He was always quiet, treated the books with respect, and appreciated old texts. Much unlike you. Shouldn't you be doing your homework upstairs?"
************************************
"Not going to Hogesmeade this week? What does Diagon Alley have in it for you now?" asked Merula the next morning. After breakfast, Dani had gotten into the great hall fireplace to travel by floo powder when she was stopped by the Slytherin.

"Thought I might get to Flourish and Blotts early this morning. Alex's been looking for books on Mahoutokoro. Thought I'd catch him there."

"Can I come with you?" asked Merula, to the Gryffindor's surprise.

"...I don't see why not."
************************************
"Last night, just before we closed for the day," repeated Merula in frustration.

"Dammit, Villanelle," groaned Dani. "Like, really, he CAN'T be in the area, there's a thing in the world called freaking apparition."

"Well, since we're already here, why not hit Knockturn Alley?"

"Again, I don't see why not, I'm not in a Honeydukes mood right now."

"Anyway, you've heard of Cedric Diggory, haven't you?" Merula said as they went down the street.

"Of course, I don't get how everyone can get so excited over a first-year. Like, he can't be more interesting than, well, vaults, right?"

Turning into the darker alleyway, Merula pointed at a necklace in the window of Borgin and Burkes. "It's been said that it's claimed the lives of 19 muggle owners. Don't you think Rakepick would just love something like that?"

"I think she'd prefer something slightly more-"

"INCARCEROUS!"

Dani pulled Merula out of the way just in time as their attacker's spell barely brushed past her blouse.

"DEPULSO!"

"STUPEFY!"

Two spells knocked down the figure behind them, and Dani ran over to see who it was.

"ALEX?!"

The young man stood up and brushed himself off. "That wasn't half bad, Dani. Looks like you're not the little kid who needs my help chasing away the ghouls anymore. Hey you, Merula, right?"

"Yes, hello. What are you-"

"Listen, I can't stay for long, I literally just got a lead on Rakepick's location but I couldn't pass up the chance when I found out you were in this sort of place. You've heard of the wizard from-"

"Mahoutokoro? That seems to be the theme of the week."

"Yes, exactly. Word on the street is that he's headed for Hogwarts. And-" He glanced at his watch and winced. "I'd better go now. Watch your backs."

And with that, he'd disapparated once more.