Chapter 17

"Dani!"

Rowan caught up to her best friend just as they were entering the school. As it turned out, all students would be returning after the holidays as planned-with 'special measures' put in place, of course. Dani dreaded to know what said measures were.

"About the Japanese note... Something something quills, something something Black Lake, something something ministry. Nothing we don't already know."

"Another dead end," sighed Dani. "Great. Thanks though."

"Anytime."

The flock of students entered the great hall. Before everyone began eating, Dumbledore made an announcement.

"Good evening, students. I hope you all had a good holiday. Recently, the ministry has decided to station dementors at Hogwarts to protect students from the Mahoutokoro wizard. I would like to request all of you to continue to stay within castle grounds at all times. If you don't provoke the dementors, then they won't bother you."

Dumbledore made more announcements, none of which the Gryffindor sixth-years paid any attention to-a potentially fatal mistake. ("Why can't they just send aurors? So much cooler and so much less scary!" said Corey.)
************************************
The next morning, Dani rushed to the artefact room after wolfing down her breakfast. She had someone to meet up with before class.

"Dani, I believe there's something I should let you know about," said Moody. "I'm not sure if you saw him, but your brother was at the Black Lake the day you were attacked. If he wasn't, you and Merula would've gotten the ol' avada kedavra."

"Wha-"

"I'd advise you to be careful, Dani. Keep an eye open until the Mahoutokoro wizard leaves the area. And always remember to exercise-"

"Constant vigilance. I know."
************************************
That day after class, Dani grabbed Ben and Merula to go to Alex's room, believing that he might have left her something since he'd been at Hogwarts just before the holidays.

"And what do you know," said Ben, picking up a black quill on the desk. "REPARIFARGE!"

Come to the forest grove. We need to meet. -R