𝟒𝟖 | 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐢𝐭 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐡 𝐢𝐭?

Start from the beginning

Armin was the one to break the silence eventually, speaking slow as if he were trying to find the right words, "So, you pushed us away, and let us hunt you down, to make us look like heroes to the rest of the world?" He theorized, "Was that really your plan all along?"

It was common knowledge that Eren had the strength to kill the Scouts and the Warriors whenever he wanted to. With the power of the Founding, Eren even had the chance to take away all of their Titan abilities, but he didn't. Instead of using the Founding powers to his advantage, Eren let the others plan his downfall. And from what Eren told Armin earlier, Eren let the Alliance succeed on purpose.

Eren sat quietly in thought. Is that what his goal was from the beginning? To let his friends and ex-comrades rule the day, slay him, and be seen as heroes to all of humanity?

Eren knew deep down that wasn't the truth. But it would sound horrible to admit out loud.

"That's right. I did it all for you." Eren said anyways, "How could you not be seen as heroes after fighting for humanity outside of Paradis, despite the world seeing all of you as island devils? After this, you'll probably become the most respected people in the world."

"But what if we aren't respected? What if they still view us the same as before? Are we supposed to be the ones to protect Paradis from the world's retaliation?" Armin questioned once more, a tinge of panic leaking in his voice.

It was a thought that scratched the back of Armin's mind this entire dreadful experience. When this all ends, what would happen to Paradis Island and the people who inhabit it? Would Eren's efforts all be for nothing?

Humanity viewing Armin and the rest of the Alliance as figures worthy of respect sounded like a fantasy that could never be fulfilled. Armin didn't allow himself to get his hopes up—he was still an Eldian, after all. Life was unfair. Just because you did a good thing doesn't mean you'll always be rewarded.

"Humanity outside the Walls won't be able to retaliate immediately." Eren assured, dismissing Armin's concerns. "The Rumbling destroyed almost every military base in the world. Eighty percent of humanity is gone..."

Anything Eren said after that last, had been tuned out in Armin's mind. He could only focus on that last sentence.

80% of humanity.

That's at least 1.6 billion people.

That eighty percent included harmless civilians. That eighty percent included innocent children who wouldn't have had a clue about the politics surrounding Marleyans and Eldians. All it took was three days for eighty-percent of humanity, actual lives, to be wiped away like nothing.

It made Armin sick to his stomach.

Armin wanted to give Eren the benefit of the doubt. He wanted to think that Eren did all of this for a noble cause. He wanted to believe that somewhere in there, Eren was still a good person. But Armin couldn't look past this as he did with all the other things Eren have done. This crime was too extreme to look past.

It was agreed upon in many meetings that the Rumbling was only to be used towards the enemy's military bases. And yet, Eren made a conscious decision to use the Rumbling for something more sinister. It was even worse that Eren seemed to be aware of all the innocent civilians he sacrificed, and yet, not an inch of remorse was shown on his apathetic face for all those lost lives. Eren seemed to be more apologetic about fighting Armin than killing more than half of humanity.

Armin couldn't help but think, where was Eren's humanity? His empathy? His morale? Who is this person that sat beside him?

"Did you really have to go this far?" Armin asked Eren, "Was all of this bloodshed really just for us?"