001.

P R E S E N T    D A Y

P R E S E N T    D A Y . . .

A sigh escaped from Zayley's lips as she closed the door to her apartment.

Tired was an understatement. She was beyond exhausted from a long week at the hospital. All she wanted to do was sleep the rest of the day off. Luckily it was Friday, and she had the next three days off to do just that.

"Finally! I thought you would never show up," Natalia yelled from the living room.

Natalia and Zayley were roommates that became best friends when Zayley decided to transfer to colleges her sophomore year.

"I'm starting to regret giving you a key, always popping up unannounced." Zayley joined her on the couch. "And I live here Nat. Why wouldn't I come home?"

"Please, I know how you get when it comes to your job. You get in this whole other world."

She could only chuckle at her comment because it was somewhat true. Her job was very time-consuming, keeping the girl on her toes 24/7. Nonetheless, she loved every single aspect of it.

About three months ago, Zayley officially became a physician assistant. Growing up, she was oddly fascinated with images of the human body. She couldn't tell you exactly why, but being that kid who loved science, and the human body gives you some knowledge of what type of child she was.

She also loved helping people. Therefore she wanted a career where she could incorporate both her passion. She went to attend the University of Michigan and later transferred to the University of Houston, majoring in biology and minoring in psychology.

She went on to received her bachelors, taking only three years instead of the regular four to finish undergrad. Then she entered a physician assistant program for a two years to get her master's.

There was no doubt that the young adult was intelligent. Zayley's parents instilled in her the value of education at a young age and did whatever it took to help their two daughters succeed. Like when Zayley's elementary school principal told her parents she was way too academically developed to be in the first grade, they took the initiative to bump her two grades.

Zayley wouldn't be where she was today if it wasn't for them. She may have put in long hours of work, but they were the ones who motivated her to do such.

"Care to explain why you still have boxes stashed away in your bedroom?" Natalia asked, turning Zayley away from her thoughts.

"I'm not done unpacking yet, with your nosey ass," She side-eyed while stroking her pet cat named Milo.

"So you mean to tell me you've been living in San Francisco for three months, and you're not done unpacking yet?"

"You know I've been busy." Zayley shrugged.