Chapter 8: Time for Answers

The photoshoot went on for hours with makeup touchups, lunch and breaks in between

The photoshoot went on for hours with makeup touchups, lunch and breaks in between. I was thankful my Sunday consisted of so many duties that took my mind off the things I wanted to forget.

Nolan had been emotionally distant most of the day, putting himself in manager mode as he took care of business arrangements. Joselyn brought lunch and snacks, helped schedule obligations, and I was sure some of those preparations and calls were for her and her budding acting career they were secretly working on.

Before I knew it, the day was nearly over.

Joselyn gave me a quick goodbye hug before leaving the building for the evening, leaving Nolan and I alone in the large studio and attached apartment. The perfect time to talk.

Nolan removed his tailored dark blue blazer and tossed it on the edge of the bed. "What a day, yeah?" He sighed, releasing a bit of stress, and relaxing his broad shoulders. "Come, you sexy vixen." He crooked a finger and produced those deep cheek dimples with a smile.

"We haven't had a chance to really talk about last night," I started, making my way to him as if being pulled by a magnet or maybe habit.

"That's because there's nothing to talk about." His eyelids were low, he looked more tired than aroused as I had assumed. "You had a good time, didn't you?"

"Honestly, it's all a bit of a blur." I stood before him, hesitant to fall into his arms like my body wanted to. "But that wine—"

"It was too close to the edge. Nothing else." His fingertips caressed my jawline. "You're too sexy to worry about shattered wine bottles." He guided me closer so his lips could press against mine.

I didn't close my eyes like he did.

When he pulled back, his palms slid down my side, but I ignored his blatant gesture. "We never talked about what happened before the wine." I looked into his disappointed eyes and refused to look away. "You hurt me, Nolan."

"Hurting you was a mistake I made up for by making you scream my name in pleasure."

I scoffed. "Are you serious?"

"Rhea Patel ..." he started and rubbed his nose in annoyance.

"Nolan Hudson," I mimicked.

"We're better now," he insisted. "Why rewind time just to relive the pain? Let's move on, yeah?"

"Sure." I dropped my head in defeat. If only I had the courage to walk right out of the building and never look back. The security of my future and the fearful unknown were the only things stopping me.

He lifted his phone. "I'm gonna respond to some emails and then climb into bed to get some shuteye before dinner. How does that sound?"

I nodded and left him alone in the room. The emails could have very well been opportunities for Joselyn and her career that he didn't want me to intrude on. And being so exhausted put me in a mood where arguing wasn't welcomed.