Chapter 30 - The Unplanned Encounter II

عن سعد بن أبي وقاص قَالَ قُلْتُ يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ أَيُّ النَّاسِ أَشَدُّ بَلَاءً قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ الْأَنْبِيَاءُ ثُمَّ الْأَمْثَلُ فَالْأَمْثَلُ فَيُبْتَلَى الرَّجُلُ عَلَى حَسَبِ دِينِهِ فَإِنْ كَانَ دِينُهُ صُلْبًا اشْتَدَّ بَلَاؤُهُ وَإِنْ كَانَ فِي دِينِهِ رِقَّةٌ ابْتُلِيَ عَلَى حَسَبِ دِينِهِ فَمَا يَبْرَحُ الْبَلَاءُ بِالْعَبْدِ حَتَّى يَتْرُكَهُ يَمْشِي عَلَى الْأَرْضِ مَا عَلَيْهِ خَطِيئَةٌ
(‎2398 سنن الترمذي كتاب الزهد وسلم باب ما جاء في الصبر على البلاء)
Sa'd ibn Abi Waqqas reported: I said, "O Messenger of Allah, which people are tested most severely?" The Messenger of Allah, (peace and blessings be upon him), said, "They are the prophets, then the next best, then the next best. A man is put to trial according to his religion. If he is firm in his religion, his trials will be more severe. If he is weak in his religion, he is put to trial according to his strength in religion. The servant will continue to be put to trial until he is left walking upon the earth without any sin."

~ Sunan al-Tirmidhī 2398
Grade: Sahih (authentic) according to Al-Albani
********************

Hiba

5 minutes later, I was in my room. Waiting.

Then I heard the door open.

"Just wait here please." Ahmad said in the distance. It sounded like it came from the living room.

I felt my heartbeat rise rapidly, my breaths become shorter. I paced around the room, trying to calm myself first. But that was nearly impossible, for the pain of two and a half years with the man downstairs was all flooding back. I couldn't face him before, I was too afraid.

*knock knock*

Ahmad opened the door slowly, to find me once again sitting at the dressing table, staring into the mirror. My tears were rolling down my face and onto the black veil in my lap.

"Ahmad... I don't know what I was thinking. Why didn't I get out? Why am I so stupid?" I said, moving to my bed.

I felt his presence inching closer step by step, until he took a seat next to me.

"Maybe, didi, because you never sensed the danger before. You were so in love with someone who was supposed to be this amazing man to you, you struggled to see the signs. It's not your fault. These things happen. It was a test from Allah, and remember two things. 1) Allah knew you would make it, he never tests us with more than we can take.