Chapter 10: The Truth Hits Hard Than Batman's Fist

Bruce slid down to the Batcave only to find Dick and Babs discussing something furiously on the Batcomputer.

"Good evening," Bruce said, adjusting his Batman suit.

Babs and Dick turned around. "Hi," Dick muttered half-heartedly, turning back to whatever he's doing, and Babs only nodded before returning.

"What's wrong?" Bruce asked.

"Dick called me yesterday," Babs replied. "Said he had a very disturbing discovery he wanted to share."

"What discovery?" Bruce asked yet again.

Dick swallowed, and clicked on a file he'd apparently been doing on. A faded, yellow picture appeared. "See the girl in the middle."

Bruce squinted on the girl Dick mentioned. He noticed traces of familiarity within her: the silver eyes, the pale skin color, and loose braid.

"Isn't this Katiya?" Bruce said.

Dick nodded gravely. "The two men between her--I know them. They're the crooks that both of us encountered three days ago. Apparently, they're linked to her past. She must've hit me in the solar plexus that day, to make sure I wasn't interfering in a private matter."

Bruce frowned a little beneath his cowl. "Anything else?"

Dick scrolled down. "Those two men are quite the spectacle. They're Dima Volkov and Andrei Sidelnikov, or better known as Navelo and Pravilno, high-ranking members of a crime organization in Russia. A powerful one. They're charged with weapon dealing, smuggling and illegally testing dynamite on public spaces. Their actions are close to terrorists."

Bruce silently muttered their names. "Doesn't their codenames mean 'left' and 'right'?"

"Yup. According to my research, they're the right-hand men of the mastermind of the organization--Nameless. He's mysterious, this man. Famous in the criminal underworld, but no one, except his loyal ones, know his actual identity."

"What's the name of the organization?"

Dick was silent for a while, as he recalled his information. "Драконы смертных грехов. In English, it's known as--"

"'Dragons of Deadly Sins'," Bruce translated with ease. "I heard a few mentions before."

"That's right. So why two known Russian criminals target a teenage girl? Unless..."

Bruce's eyes widened with realization.

"Unless she's involved in this crime syndicate somehow."

~~

Tony doesn't know why Dick and Babs would eye at Katiya warily, like an unstable bomb about to explode anytime.

His overprotective-guardian mode switched on when he noticed Babs avoiding skin contact with Katiya. It wasn't obvious, but Tony could sense the woman's tension.

"Hey," Tony said, approaching her casually. "You good? You seem to be in a weird mood today."

"Oh, I'm fine," Babs shrugged it off. "Y'know, dealing with Dick's childishness can be tiring. Being his girlfriend comes with a price."

"He doesn't seem childish to me. Not today, at least," Tony gave Dick one searching glance. "He seems mature, though. Unexpected."

Babs seemed to be snapping out of a trance when she replied, "Oh, really? Well, I guess so."

Tony smiled politely.

But his mind was just as suspicious as his gut.

Something is 100% wrong.