Chapter 2: Old Friends, New Foes

Wayne Manor, 7.00a.m.

Katiya helped Tony take out all the things from the SUV's boot.

"How's the others?"

"The rest are on the way." Tony groaned as he took out the last luggage, and closed the boot. "Until then, we're staying in Wayne Manor."

Katiya was silent for the rest of the time as the family trudged to Wayne Manor. The rising sun shone on its limestone walls, tainted glass windows reflecting its rays. The black gates alone were stunning enough.

Peter kept saying, "Whoa", which annoyed Katiya quite enough.

"It's even bigger than the Compound!" Peter swiveled his head around. "Is Bruce Wayne richer than you?"

Tony was silent, as if he doesn't know what to say. "Y'know what, why don't we ask him that?"

"How did you know him?"

"My family was in Gotham years ago. I met Bruce in Gotham Academy, where we became best friends. But my dad whisked me back to New York to study in MIT sometime later, however we do still keep in touch though."

Peter was silent, digesting this new piece of information as they reached the gates. Up close, they look menacing with that black paint.

Tony fished out his phone and dialed a number. "Hey, Alfie, could you open the gates, please?" 

Katiya couldn't hear what the recipient said, but the gates opened as soon as the call ended. The Starks walked another few miles up to the magnificent mansion, where a butler stood next to a slightly ajar door.

It was the young assassin's old habit to watch whatever stranger she met, and when she set eyes on the old man, Katiya immediately began examining him, careful not to let him know. He was a tall man, wearing a standard uniform, standing in an elegant posture, almost bald, and had a sincere, fatherly smile.

"Alfred!" Tony laughed, and went in for a big ol' hug.

"Master Tony, long time no see," Alfred said in a British accent. "Master Bruce has been awaiting your arrival for hours."

"Hey, I thought the big man was supposed to see us himself," Tony scratched his head. "And he left you in the sunlight. Bad for your knees, y'know."

"I understand," Alfred replied between chuckles. "Master Bruce is the one standing here since dawn. I told him to sit down inside and wait as I firstly welcome you." His eyes drifted to the others. "And these are your family that you repeatedly told us in all those conversations?"

"Yes!" Tony laughed. "Can't wait to introduce them to all of you."

"Well, then, we can't wait. Come in!" He lifted one of his gloved hands and gestured inside. 

The family walked in, and Peter gasped. Katiya couldn't help but also admire the beautiful scene.

Wayne Manor was stunning, but it was more dazzling on the inside; it wasn't like the old Stark mansion they lived in before moving to the Compound that gave off a modern look. The manor looked like a castle fit for royalty, decorated with carpets embroidered with patterns, old heirlooms, and a large crystal chandelier loomed over the floors of the foyer.

"It's just the same as I left it for the last time," Tony sniffled, flicking a tear from his eye. "Now, where's Brucie?"

"Wait as I call him," Alfred said, slightly nodding, as he walked to a room.

Bruce sipped his morning coffee, while a black-haired woman with olive green eyes, dressed in a fuchsia nightrobe, walked by.