Chapter 6: Investigation

Tony sipped his coffee, eyeing Steve, who then eyed Nick.

"There's only so little I can pull off of this team you talked about," Nick spoke after a long moment of silence. "They are an individual team, each member protecting a city that has a high crime rate. Gotham is protected by the Batman, his allies, sidekicks and associates."

"But they claim to be a superhero team who received the same anonymous email as us," Tony noted. "We never considered other factors that could help us in our business."

Steve ran his fingers in his coffee mug (a handmade 100th-birthday present from Peter Parker), swirling the black, murky contents inside. "They can help us in our quest. The decision is up to you, Nick."

Nick flipped through his research files for a while, considering the suggestion. After a while, he lifted his head, his only eye glinting. "Sure."

Steve and Tony nodded--

"But before that, I'd like to send someone undercover."

"Undercover how?" Tony asked, sipping the last drop of coffee from his cup.

"It's more of an investigation rather than undercover," Nick began. "She'll crack their identities, then try to get close to them, see how they are."

Tony nodded, before realizing something in Nick's sentence.

"Hold on. Who's she?"

~~

Katiya squinted at the stack of paperwork, barely a novel thick, lying on her mahogany desk in her room, somewhere in the east wing of Wayne Manor. 

"That's it?" She said, icy tone dripping in her voice. 

She was angry and annoyed at Nick Fury at the same time, for giving her work during her holiday, and when there was little information to begin with.

"As much as I don't like Fury giving this assignment to you, and since we have a handful of members to help us, we can't admit we still need help in foreign land, a place where we don't even know where to start. Besides, Fury is afraid we'll still fail even if there's many Avengers out there." Tony scoffed. "Please. We can do better. But we still need it."

Katiya flipped through the file, which only had pages on the members. She stopped at one--a guy dressed in a cowl with pointy ears, and grey uniform wrapped in a black cape. The file read: BATMAN.

What had captivated her was the contents in his page. It was blank.

"All we know was from a claim by the commissioner of GCPD named James Gordon, who'd encountered Batman ever since he started his job. So far, according to him, Batman has been in the vigilante game for 20 years," Tony said softly. "The others...about a decade or so. That means he's the oldest and most experienced member." 

Katiya turned to the next page labelled SUPERMAN. His details were vague:

Started vigilantism 10 years ago. Possesses superhuman-like powers. Identity unknown.

"I'll leave you to your research," Tony said. "Want Pepper to make your tea?"

Katiya didn't answer, but her body language told Tony she needed a cup to calm down her nerves. He left, closing the door behind him.

Katiya sighed, turning over page to page.

WONDER WOMAN: Started vigilantism 10 years ago. Has a lasso as a weapon to force her enemies to speak the truth. Identity unknown.

FLASH: Started vigilantism 10 years ago. Possesses superhuman speed. Identity unknown.

GREEN ARROW: Started vigilantism 10 years ago. Uses a bow and arrows as his main weapon. Identity unknown.