The Numbness of Searing Pain

Start from the beginning

Isabelle: My grandmother would want to know if I have a boyfriend, and my mother wouldn't give a crap.

Ellis: You're grandmother sounds like a frivolous woman.

ISabelle: If I chose pediatrics, what would that say about me?

Ellis: Pediatric Surgeons are patient, communicative, and observant. Your hardcore due to the fact that symptoms can be less viable, so you have to advocate for patient and deal with the troublesome patients. Pediatricians must be persistent, open-minded, and hyper-observant, never letting a sign or symptom elude or confuse them. The ability to pick up small clues or subtle changes in behavior can be key in deciphering what's at stake and informing a plan of action...Meredith says I'm part of an Alzheimer's research study. I want a neuro consult with the doctor who put me in the trial.

I nod before going to find Meredith and warn her about her mother and Derek  

.............

I walk into the Ambulance bay to see Meredith.

Isabelle: Hey, Mer. I've been looking for you. Burke has me on your mom. Are you ok?

Meredith: I'm avoiding her. I'm avoiding the gift.

Isabelle: Yeah, well, uh...your gift wants to meet Derek.

Meredith: What? What did you say?

Isabelle: No, no, no. Not Derek your boyfriend, Derek the neurosurgeon. She's gonna know that's he's your boyfriend anyway. (I take a breath) She has ways. I'm kind of not hating her, by the way.

Meredith: she has that effect on people who aren't her daughter.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I enters Ellis' room

Isabelle: Dr. Grey. Your holter monitor shows your having multiple runs of tachycardia every hour. So, Dr. Burke would like to do a radio-plation.

Ellis: Why would he recommend surgery when medication can keep it under control? (She stops and processes the reason) Because Alzheimer's patients aren't always compliant with their meds.

I give her a sympathetic look: And...apparently, Meredith says, your particularly difficult.

Ellis: I could elect not to treat it at all.

Isabelle: Your stress test shows coronary artery disease. That coupled with the tachy arrhythmias could cause too much stress on your heart. Which would, eventually...

Ellis: What would you do? If the thing that defines who you are, was taken away. Tell Dr. Burke...I don't want the surgery.

Isabelle takes a breath: I'm...I'm very sorry, Dr. Grey. But technically that decision isn't yours. It's Meredith's.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ellis' room, her monitor is beeping

Nurse: Looks like SVT.

Isabelle: Push 10 of adenocine and page Dr. Burke.

Nurse: He's already gone into surgery. I'll get the adenocine.

Ellis: Carotid massage. Do the carotid massage.

A lightbulb goes off in my head, and I understand

Isabelle: Carotid massage can regulate the heart and stop SVT. Ok, hold on. Hold on. Hold on please. Hold on, hold on. ( I continue cardiac massage and finally she goes out of SVT) Ok. Ok, ok, ok, ok.