✮Sherlock|Sherlock X Reader|Looking Masculine

words:1005
This one's not really romantic or anything but who cares?
Y/N is non-binary in this one and was born in a female body.

"Oh for god's sake!"
Sherlock, who was sitting on his chair lifted his head, to the sound of Y/N shouting through the flat. John was sitting in the kitchen, reading the newspaper and now turned around to the hallway, looking at the bathroom door, then at Sherlock and then back again. "Everything alright?" John asked loud enough so Y/N could hear. "Yes, I'm fine!" they shouted back, sounding frustrated. "Sure?" Sherlock questioned. "No!" Y/N cried out.

Shortly after, Y/N came out of the bathroom. They hold a beanie in their hand, their hair was messy, a hair tie found place around their wrist, they were close to tears and their cheeks were red. "What's wrong?" John gave them a worried look.

Y/N stood in the hallway for a bit, trying to find words to say, but the only thing, that left their mouth was a quiet:"You wouldn't understand." and than they left to go upstairs.

John and Sherlock looked at each other, one more confused than the other. "Do you have any idea of what's might wrong?" John asked Sherlock. "I believe it has something to do with their hair." Sherlock said. "Their hair? Why should they be so upset because of it? Normally they wear it the same every day."
Sherlock shrugged.

"Someone should look after them." John suggested and stood up. He got upstairs and knocked on Y/Ns door. "Can I come in?" he asked but received no response. "Y/N?" Nothing.
"What's wrong?"
"You wouldn't get it."

"Maybe I would, if you'd tell me." he said and heard a suffering laugh from the other side of the door.
"Please stop it, John."
"Why? I just want to be there for you."
"Maybe I don't want you to!" they responded through the door.
John took a step back. "Okay then."
He left.

As John sat on the kitchen table again, continuing to read the newspaper, you could sense he was upset. "And?" Sherlock asked. "They don't want my help. Seriously, they're acting like child! I just wanted to be there for them and they push me away!" John complained. "They're probably just on their period or something." he muttered to himself.

Sherlock pushed his eyebrows together. That was very unlike John. He stood up. "Where are you going?" John asked. "I'll try to talk to them." "Well good luck then. You'll need it. It's like talking to a moody teenager." John focused back on reading the article he had stopped at.

Sherlock walked up the stairs until he stood in front of their room. He knocked slightly. "Y/N? How are you?"
"Better, thanks." they still sounded upset but it had indeed gotten less. "Do you want to talk about it?" he asked. "I don't know if you'll get it." "I could try."

Sherlock had a soft side, but he mostly didn't show it to other human beings. More likely to a dog or something. But Y/N was an expectation. He was sure he could be who ever he wanted to be and how ever he wanted and they would be okay with it and like him either way.

"Would you like me to come inside?" he asked and shortly after the door was opened. "Very much." they smiled up at him a bit.

Both of them sat on Y/Ns bed now. "It may sounds stupid now, but I struggle with my hair. You know, I like my hair, it's beautiful but I feel like it looks so feminine." Y/N started to explain and Sherlock just listened.
"When people see me, they just assume I am a woman and go by she/her. I thought maybe I could make them ask for my pronouns, when I look more masculine. But I'm afraid to cut my hair. I doubt it will look good on me, I think my hair structure isn't really made for short hair and it just wouldn't suit my face. So I tried to hide my hair under the beanie but it didn't work. I'm so sick of people calling me a woman, Sherlock!" they finished and Sherlock simply asked:"Since when does hair have a gender?" "What?" Y/N looked at him confused. "How can hair look masculine or feminine? It's just hair."

Y/N assumed no one would get it but not in this way. "I have long hair and-" they paused. Why is long hair feminine? There are men out there with long hair. Hair does not have a gender.

"That long hair is feminine is just a stamp put on you by society. You shouldn't worry about how other people see you. If you think your hair is beautiful the way it is, then it's fine the way it is. Just because society tells you, that you look like a woman doesn't mean you do. What makes a woman look like a woman? Clothes, make-up, hair? None of that has any gender. You can never tell a person's gender based on what they look like, no matter what you do."

Sherlock was right. No one could ever tell the gender of Y/N or any other person just based from their looks. You should always ask a person before putting a stamp on them. Y/N smiled. "You're right. Thank you, Sherlock."

Sherlock is maybe a bit out of character, but I don't care lol

Honestly, this oneshot was actually written to vent. I am non-binary and fiddled around with my hair the other day, trying to get it to look masculine. I don't really know what for, 'cause I go by any pronouns.
But on the other hand it does make me happy if people use different pronouns instead of only using she/her all the time.
Anyway, hope you liked the oneshot, bye

~Ally