Butterfly

⚠️ TRIGGER WARNING

Suicidal thoughts, mentioning of self-harming

Everyone knows Arm had saved Pol for more than once. He made Pol believe in himself, he made Pol stays when he's about to give up, he acted as a human shield for Pol too many times that everyone lost count.

That's why no one ever questioned Pol about why he falls for Arm.

Because aside from that, Arm is simply a lovable person. He's a genius, kind-hearted, caring, cheerful, and he's one of the top bodyguards in the family. His special treatments to Pol just added more reasons to the list.

But that's not how it works with Arm. Not that anyone dared to ask, but those who didn't know Arm that well, they silently questioned why Arm would fall for someone like Pol.

He's clumsy, he takes everything too lightly, his jokes are way too lame, he didn't stand out like Arm did, everyone usually brushed him off as a harmless playful bodyguard.

But they're not Arm, and that's what differentiates their point of view with Arm's. Because they could never see Pol from Arm's pair of eyes.

Arm, once, lives like a machine without any purpose. He lives because he was told to do so, because he was told not to die. He did anything the family told him to. He go out to guard the family, he creates programs, hardwares, and weapons, and wake up early in the morning and go to sleep at night according to the schedule.

No purposes, just orders.

And Pol came.

Well, it's not like he came and Arm's world suddenly light up with rainbows all over the sky, of course not.

Pol came and suddenly there's someone he can talk to. Not just about work, Arm could even talk about how the lunch taste too spicy for his liking and Pol would still perks up listening to him.

Back when they weren't roommates-when Arm mostly stayed in the armoury because his room feels empty-whenever Pol's roommate is on the night duty, he would crash in Pol's room and they would do anything to tire themselves out until they fall asleep.

Suddenly, he got so many reasons to stay alive. For their midnight dinner, for more talking and exchanging laughs that would left him light-headed, for more of Pol's lame jokes that somehow he found funny, or to put it simply, for more times of them being together.

So, Arm started drawing butterflies, one by one.

On his wrist.

Whenever one finally got washed out, he would draw another. But he named them the same.

Pol.

He named them Pol.

So that if he cut them, it means he killed Pol. And he didn't want that to happen, so he stopped cutting himself.

He stopped trying to kill himself in a natural way, such as putting himself at gun point on purpose-so that the gun would shot him and he ends up dead. He stopped doing that, because there are so many things that he wants to do with Pol.

So many things that he couldn't do if he died.

Eventually, Arm gets tired of watching 'Pol' fading away, so he was thinking if he should get the butterfly tattoed instead.

But, no. Pol actually give him another butterfly. Or, butterflies.

In his heart.

Pol would bring him a cup of coffee whenever he works overtime. Not just any coffee, but his favorite coffee. From his favorite brand, with his favorite recipe.

"Stop sitting like that, it's bad for your posture. It would give you a backache, too." Pol said when he spotted Arm's sitting position. He would pull his shoulder backwards so that Arm isn't hunching over the desk, until it became a habit for him to sit straight.

Arm was often get in bed late past midnight, too tired to even unfold his blanket. But he would find himself tucked under a blanket when he wake up in the morning. Of course, it's the taller man's doing.

Once, he got a bad case of stomach flu which means throwing up everything he ate. Pol stayed up all night that time, ready with a bucket beside his bed. And even though Arm is one of the worst type of patient, he still patiently look after him.

All of that, long before they become a thing. That's how Pol gave him butterflies, replacing the one on his wrist.

One day, months after they started dating, he told Pol about 'Pol' the butterfly-the one on his wrist.

And Pol's response is to take both of his hand and kiss his wrists deeply, where 'Pol' the butterfly once resided.

"I don't know if this is the right thing to say," He kissed Arm's right wrist, "but I hope I can be your butterfly forever." He then kissed Arm's left wrist.

That's how Poll still gives him butterfly, up until now.