Chapter 32

Sacramento, California

Stevie let Lindsey hold her hand as they walked down the hall backstage. They just finished playing in Sacramento and for whatever reason, things felt less tense between them on stage tonight. She didn't question it, instead she took their slower-than-normal rendition of Landslide as a form of therapy that they both needed. As he squeezed her hand into his once more, they bumped straight into Kristen backstage, both jumping back slightly and removing their hands from one another.

"Great show, honey," she leaned in to press her lips directly onto Lindsey's sweaty face, Stevie attempting not to notice the public display of affection.

"Thanks," he responded casually.

"I'm going to go get changed, I'm sweating," Stevie announced, leaving them both to disappear into her own dressing room.

"Is the hand holding really necessary, Lindsey? I mean, really?" Kristen scoffed when they were alone.

"Seriously, Kit? This again?"

"How would you feel if I was constantly holding hands with my ex, Lindsey?"

He sighed as she followed him into his dressing room, closing the door behind them with a huff. He wasn't sure how to tell her that he really wouldn't care at all. In just a few hours, she would be headed back to Los Angeles while he boarded a plane to the band's next tour stop. It couldn't come soon enough.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Phoenix, Arizona

It may have been nighttime in Phoenix, but an overwhelming heat still filled the air. There was finally a moment of respite as a sudden rainstorm came out of nowhere, forcing Lindsey to come in from his walk around the hotel grounds— he needed to clear his mind tonight. As he made his way back up to his room, something caught his eye through the window as he stood waiting in the elevator bank. Outside, on a scenic balcony overlooking the red canyons, stood a figure draped in all black that Lindsey was sure was either Stevie or a mirage his twisted mind had cooked up. As he saw her lift her arms out to feel the rain, he knew it had to be her.

"Stevie? What are you doing out here?" He asked worriedly as he opened the door to where she stood outside.

She turned around, startled at his interruption, "Oh, hey, Linds."

He took in her appearance, she stood soaking wet, the rain having fully soaked her long wavy hair and all black chiffon attire. He watched her nervously, "Are you okay?"

She smiled, "I love the smell of the rain here. It smells like home, nothing like it," she looked back out at the canyons dreamily.

"Oh," he breathed a sigh of relief at her very Stevie answer, "It is nice, isn't it?"

"Magic. What are you doing out here?"

"I just took a walk."

She eyed him curiously now, "In the rain?"

"Well, it wasn't raining when I started."

She nodded. They stood in silence for a few moments, each of them getting soaking wet but not daring to move a muscle. He studied her as she dipped her head back, letting the drops of water rain over her face as she closed her eyes. She was so beautiful that he would stand out there in the rain for hours just to watch her.

"Good show tonight, I love performing here," she broke the silence.

"It was...the last two have been really good. It was nice to see your mom tonight too."