Chapter 19

Lindsey watched Stevie step onto the plane, her small entourage of women surrounding her. He studied her closely as she strategically avoided making any eye contact with him, much like she ignored his calls all morning as well as the knock he left on her door. He had desperately wanted to speak with her before they boarded the plane to the next city, his wife still aggravatingly in tow. Last night had been a colossal fail on his part, showing up at her door at 3 AM like that. He had a hunch it wouldn't go over well, but he had no clue just how mad Stevie would be - or how serious she would seem about ending their...thing.

Their affair. He knew he should call it an affair, technically that's what it was. But with them, it always seemed like so much more than that. They were so much more than that. Always had been.

"You've been so quiet today, honey," Kristen's voice interrupted his thoughts, her arms wrapping across the back of his shoulders as she placed a kiss on his ear.

In perfect timing, Stevie finally looked over at him at that exact moment. Fuck, of course, he thought anxiously. He wanted to pull away from his wife, but he wasn't that big of an idiot. As they made eye contact, Stevie quickly looked away and turned back around to her corner on the plane. He let out a sigh.

"Did you two lovebirds have a nice reunion last night?" Mick asked, his voice entirely too loud for Lindsey's liking.

Across the plane, Stevie tried her best to tune it all out. She felt Lindsey's eyes on her the entire time, she knew he was desperate to talk to her. The harder he tried, the angrier she got. In a bizarre turn of events, she found herself feeling just as angry at him as she did back in the '70s and '80s, the tension now just as high as it was back then. She wasn't mad at him for his wife surprising him. She was mad at the way he treated her over it. The soft look of pity in his eyes, the desperate attempts to assure Stevie they were fine and this was all perfectly normal and okay. The complete lack of responsibility or subtly as he showed up to her doorway in the middle of the night.

"Stevie!" Kristen called across the plane a few minutes later. Both Lindsey and Stevie's insides twisted at the sound.

"Yeah?" Stevie spun around to face the younger blonde.

"Did Lily ask you about the kids' special performance show?"

Stevie's face scrunched up at Kristen in confusion, "Their what?"

"Oh!" Kristen smiled excitedly, looking over to Lindsey now too, "The kids want to put on a performance of their band before school starts. They want to wait until you guys are on break so you and Lindsey can be there."

"Oh," Stevie's face softened, "Lily hadn't mentioned that. It sounds sweet."

Now she would have to see Lindsey on the band's break after next week too?? This was really spiraling out of control, and she hated that she felt like she couldn't stop it.

"They wanted to do it at your house, apparently it's 'cooler,'" Kristen rolled her eyes, "So maybe Lily is mustering up the courage to ask for permission."

"Oh," Stevie smiled blankly. She was happy for her daughter and loved seeing her happy. That mattered more here, she knew.

"I'm not supposed to say, but they have a special Fleetwood Mac performance planned too," Kristen added.

Stevie and Lindsey met eyes now, both of them feeling emotional at the sweetness of that idea. "That's really very adorable," Stevie sighed, "I can't wait."

"Me too," Lindsey agreed, his eyes not leaving hers.

"How long will you be staying with us, Kristen?" Stevie asked, her eyes finally leaving Lindsey's.