Chapter 18

Later that night, Stevie sat at the vanity mirror of her dressing room after the show, slowly removing some of her makeup as she stared back at her reflection. There was a different type of tension on stage tonight between she and Lindsey, one she couldn't quite describe or put her finger on. But it was clear that the surprise arrival of his wife had rattled them both.

Deep down, she knew this was the wake-up call they needed to break them from this delightful bubble of delusion they'd created this week. But the cold splash of water to the face felt icier than she expected. She couldn't keep the flashbacks of their naked bodies intertwined from entering her mind all night during the show, the feel of his strong hands running down her waist still fresh. A soft knock at the door interrupted just before her mind entered really dangerous territory.

"Come in," she called, her voice softer than expected.

She was surprised when Lindsey let himself in hurriedly, shutting the door immediately behind him. She eyed him curiously in the reflection of the mirror, still not turning around to face him quite yet. His eyes met hers in a stare as he took a few more steps toward her, his expression reading a million emotions at once.

"Hi," was somehow the only word he could muster.

"Hi," she whispered back, unsure of what else to say.

"I...."

She spun around in her chair to look at him directly now, "Please don't apologize," she interrupted him. "Please, don't make whatever this is with us even more ridiculous than it already is."

"You think this is ridiculous?" She was taken aback by the hurt in his voice.

"I think you apologizing to me for your wife surprising you with a visit is, yes."

He nodded, "Maybe so."

"Maybe so."

"Steph, we really need to talk...and I want to, I just..." his voice trailed off.

"I know," she stood and stepped in front of him, their hands taking one another naturally. Her fingers soothed over his and his eyes shut at the feeling.

"I need time to...process this all...to...we need more time."

A weak smile turned the corners of her mouth up slightly, her look bordering on pain and pity, "We don't. I fear we've already taken too much time with this. And now we have to go back to reality, you to your wife, me to my boyfriend."

"I'm not ready," he sighed, his voice full of pain, as he pulled her body against his and buried his face in her hair.

She didn't say anything. The truth was, she wasn't ready either. But she knew she would have to be the responsible one here. She could see it in Lindsey's eyes that he would be willing to do anything to hold onto this secret they held between them here, and that terrified her because she knew how much was at stake.

"Go be with your wife, Lindsey," she whispered against his ear.

"Don't shut me out, please, I swear I couldn't take it."

"Lindsey," she sighed, "This week has been beautiful. I don't regret a single second of it. But it has to be over now."

She felt his grip on her tighten, his lips desperately clinging to her neck as his arms clung to her body.

"Please," she whispered quietly against his body, "You have to let me go."

They stood in silence, neither one of them letting go for a few moments. Ultimately, someone else had to make the move for them to let go–the sound of the dressing room door swinging open, forcing them both to jump apart. Karen eyed them suspiciously, Mary and Sharon standing behind her.