Chapter 23

"I love you so much, sweetheart, have the best day! You're going to do amazing," Stevie called after Lily as she climbed out of the car, running towards the front door of her school. Stevie tried her best to hold back the tears in her eyes from falling.

Time was flying by, that much was sure, and she felt like she couldn't hold onto it anymore. She was thankful to be reunited with Fleetwood Mac again doing what she loved the most, but she was even more thankful for these two weeks back home with her daughter to be here for her first day of third grade. Both the band's getting older and her daughter getting older were weighing on her now.

In an attempt to cheer herself up, she took herself to the closest coffee shop to get a coffee and pastry. As she stood in line, she felt a hand on her back and panicked at the thought of some crazed fan approaching her. But when she turned around, she was met face to face with Lindsey. Of course. After years of living 15 minutes apart, they never ever ran into each other in LA. Now, as she was trying desperately to forget the sneaky kiss she shared with him in her hallway just days ago, here he was.

"Steph," he smiled, pausing when he saw the tears in her eyes still, "Hey, are you okay?"

She nodded with a grin, shaking her head flippantly, "First day of school emotions," she laughed, "I just dropped Lily off."

He smiled with an understanding nod, "We just dropped William and Leelee off too."

Despite the fact that they didn't send their kids to the same school, they of course still managed to somehow end up at the same coffee shop after the fact. Destiny could sometimes be so very torturous.

"I cried the whole car ride here," she laughed.

His hand ran up and down her arm soothingly as he laughed with her. They both stilled at the sensation, the kiss from the other day that they pretended never happened still fresh in their minds.

"What are you doing today?" He asked curiously.

She shrugged, "I already forget how to be on break. Just heading home and getting things there cleaned and organized for when Lily is done."

While she was talking, Kristen seemingly came out of thin air with Stella in her arms. "Stevie! What a surprise."

"Oh, hey, I didn't realize you were all here. Seems like this is the post school drop-off place to be," Stevie smiled.

"Definitely," Kristen grinned diplomatically before turning to her husband, "Linds, our drinks are ready - we should go, the car is still sitting right out front."

He groaned internally, the thought of not staying to drink coffee with Stevie now suddenly painful. She gave him a knowing smile, the tension between them once again at an all time high as they continued stealing glances at each other's lips.

"I'm going to get Stella in the car, good seeing you Stevie! Linds, don't forget napkins!" Kristen shouted as she headed towards the door.

"Good seeing you too," Stevie called less enthusiastically.

She and Lindsey stood in silence for a moment, neither one of them quite sure what to say anymore.

"I guess I'll see you back on tour," she smiled to him.

"Ten days."

She raised her brow at him with a smirk, "You've got a countdown already?"

He laughed, "No, of course not, that would be ridiculous."

"It was good seeing you again, Lindsey, enjoy the rest of your break," she looked up into his eyes, trying her best to be cordial again rather than blurring the lines of flirtation with him some more. His heart ached at the sudden change in tone, he hated the ongoing game of pretend.