Chapter 5

Stevie paced back and forth in her living room, her nerves completely shot. She tried to keep her cool, but she inevitably spent all night tossing and turning thinking about Lindsey coming over today. What would it be like? What would they talk about? Could they finally be...friends? Was this a sign that the band should get back together again? Her mind raced.

"Stevie," her boyfriend's voice coming from the kitchen broke her thoughts, "I've got to head out now."

"Oh," she made her way towards him, "Okay then."

"Don't sound too broken up about it," he joked.

She smiled, rubbing her hand gently over his across the countertop, "Of course you will be missed."

"Are you sure you're okay? You seem a little...off."

"I couldn't sleep last night, I think I'm just tired," she lied.

"Oh?" He asked pulling her into his arms, "You should have woke me, I could've put you to sleep veryyyy nicely."

She grinned widely, "Oh, really?"

"Yes, really," he nuzzled his face against her neck, placing kisses all over as she giggled. She closed her eyes, trying not to feel the guilt take over. She didn't tell Dave that Lindsey was coming over today. She knew she should have, but it wasn't exactly lying. The truth was, she didn't want anyone to know Lindsey was coming over because she didn't exactly know what it meant herself. The two of them called it a "catch up" and it would be just that. But she didn't want to get herself tied into anything with the band until she knew where she stood with Lindsey. And letting her boyfriend in on that part seemed particularly tricky.

"How about you let me take you and Lily out to dinner tonight?" He asked pulling back.

"Why don't we wait until you have the boys tomorrow night?"

"You love a big chaotic dinner, don't you?" He laughed.

"You know it," she giggled kissing his nose.

Dave had two sons from his previous marriage, a 9-year-old and a 7-year-old. Despite the fact that they were both close in age with Lily, the three kids hadn't exactly bonded as Stevie would have liked them to. It had been a little over a year since she and Dave began dating, so she guessed the kids still needed more time to warm up and understand—as they'd only been introduced six months ago. She always wanted Lily to have siblings, excited that this would be her closest opportunity, but it wasn't panning out exactly like she envisioned.

"Okay, I'm going to be late, I'll call you later," he smiled before giving her a kiss and disappearing out of the house.

She looked at the clock, one hour until Lindsey was supposed to arrive. She ran her fingers through her hair nervously.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lindsey stood outside her front door, his palms suddenly sweaty as he waited for her to answer. He'd spent the morning carefully grooming himself to perfection, taking an extra longtime shaving and getting his hair just right. He wasn't ashamed to admit he wanted to look good for Stevie. Was that so wrong? Didn't everyone want to look good when seeing their ex? It was pretty normal. Not telling his wife he was going to see said ex? Maybe that part wasn't as normal.

Before he could let himself feel slightly guilty again, the door swung open and there stood Stevie, a wide grin on her face as their eyes met. She looked stunning, wearing a cream colored sweater that lay off her shoulders, exposing a flash of skin that Lindsey's eyes went right to. Her hair fell down her back and bare shoulders in loose blonde waves that he couldn't help but want to run his fingers through.