Chapter 2

"What in the world are you doing here?" He asked, completely shocked and dumbfounded.

"I live here," she smiled.

"Your...your Lily is....my son's friend?" He asked confused.

Before she could answer, Lily ran up behind Stevie, tackling her while screaming laughing. Lindsey looked down at her, she was tiny, cute, and completely mischievous looking, just like her mother.

"WILL! JOEY!" Lily yelled. "Wait til you see what we have."

"Lily," Stevie interrupted, "I...you didn't tell me that Will was..." she didn't even know what she was trying to say.

"Dad, can you go now?" Will asked impatiently, looking up at Lindsey.

"I..." Lindsey was still frozen.

"Lily, why don't you show the boys the pool?" Stevie asked, stepping in once she realized Lindsey was still too stunned to be able to form any sentences.

Oblivious to the tension in the air between their parents, the three kids all went running through the house and towards the backyard. Stevie and Lindsey now faced each other quietly alone, the shock still consuming them both.

"I've always imagined what it would be like to run into you again after all these years," Lindsey admitted with a smile, "I have to say, this is the absolute furthest from what I expected."

"Hello, Lindsey," she smiled, finally feeling sturdy on her feet again.

"Hello, Stephanie."

She swallowed uneasily at the tone of his voice, the use of her full name sending goosebumps down her arms despite the Californian heat. He looked good, his hair now featuring silver streaks of gray, somehow looking even more handsome that way. He wore a black v-neck t-shirt and jeans, just like he had when she last saw him ten years ago.

"My daughter friends with your son?" She asked with the shake of her head, "I can't believe it."

"I guess we really shouldn't be surprised," he laughed.

"She didn't tell me the boys from music school were OLDER boys," Stevie shook her head with a grin.

"Trouble just like her mother," he smiled, causing her cheeks to blush as she laughed.

"I think I'm in complete shock."

"That would make two of us."

She turned around at the sound of someone yelling in her kitchen, turning back to face Lindsey with a nervous look, "Do you...do you want to come in? I mean, if you want to. It's just...I should probably get back in there."

"I uh," he stuttered, not sure what to say and not sure what to do. Suddenly the idea of going back to his studio left his mind completely, "Sure, I'd love that."

She smiled and led him inside, guiding him through her home to the backyard where the party was taking place. He looked around as kids were running quite literally everywhere—probably at least 40 of them. A group of moms and some of Stevie's family dispersed around the room, with Lindsey instantly recognizing Lori and Sharon across the way. He sighed nervously, finally realizing this was real. This was actually happening. He was in Stevie's home.

"I just need to check on everything outside, help yourself to a drink, I'll be right back?" She asked him with a pleading look as she led him to the adult beverage station in her kitchen.

He nodded and soon enough, she was running outside, her dress flowing freely behind her as he watched her slip away. Eagerly, he reached for a beer and cracked it open - suddenly needing something to take the edge off his increased heart rate.