38

ooooookay this one's a looooong one
get ready for tears. lots of them. happy tears to be specific

PLEASE enjoy!

———

August 13th, 2019
Holiday House
Watch Hill, Rhode Island

Tiny drops of water raced down along the window, blurring the sea-view outside. Kaia tried to focus on one single drop and track it's path all the way down to the windowsill but every single time, another rain drop would slide into it, either forming a larger glob or simply dispersing in every direction.

Eventually, her own vision started to blur entirely. She blinked before her eyes could get teary from going out-of-focus for too long. She didn't want to unintentionally ruin the makeup Layla had just spent the large majority of the morning perfecting.

There was a light knock on the door before someone barged in and though Kaia didn't turn around to see who it was, she didn't have to. Mica's voice was loud enough to announce his presence.

"It's fucking insane out there, I almost got drenched!" He exclaimed, sitting down on the edge of the bed and running his fingers through his hair to shake off the rain.

"I know, I can tell," Kaia sighed, keeping her gaze trained on the window closest to her as more and more rain drops splashed against the glass, a lot faster now.

"What are you going to do?" Mica asked, taking his camera out of its case and making sure no water got inside.

"Oh, dad was smart enough to suggest we get that tent thing, just in case," Kaia explained. "I'm glad we listened. I think we're going to be okay. We'll just wait for the rain to stop before getting out there, I suppose."

"It doesn't look like it's going to stop any time soon," Layla mentioned quietly, her words muffled by the hair clip she was holding between her teeth as she worked through each strand of Kaia's hair.

"It might!" Kaia exclaimed annoyedly. "I— well, at the very least it will slow down a little. We've still got at least a few more hours before heading out, anyway."

"In all cases, I used waterproof mascara. You can get drenched, or bawl your eyes out. You'll be fine," Layla told her with a little amused smirk.

"I'm sure I'm going to be crying like a baby by the end of the night," Kaia mumbled, smiling shyly down at her lap. She twisted the ring on the fourth finger of her left hand off, turning it around in her palm before moving it to her right hand. It felt odd to wear it on the other finger, but her excitement bubbled up when she thought about the simple gold band she was going to be wearing instead in just a few short hours.

"I think I might also cry," Mica laughed, leaving his camera on the bed when he was sure it was safe and coming over to Kaia's side, planting a kiss on the top of her head, careful not to ruin Layla's hard work. "Tu es magnifique." [you look beautiful.]

Kaia couldn't help but blush. Her hair wasn't even done yet, and she was still in her bathrobe, but it was still nice to be complimented. "Merci," she replied softly.

"Do you want me to go check on T?" He asked, knowing that the two had followed tradition and hadn't seen or talked to each other since going to sleep in separate rooms the night before.

"Yes, please!"

"I'll be right back, then," he told her, squeezing her shoulder on his way out.

"Also," Kaia stopped him with his hand paused over the door handle. "Tell her I love her. And I miss her. And I'm so excited! And that I love her!"