31

Kaia looked up at Mica, too stunned to say anything else. It felt like she had just been slapped in the face.

There were more texts. Some of them included numbers. Big numbers, but Kaia couldn't read them. She suddenly felt dizzy and had to lean back against the sinks to hold her weight up.

"The headline. To an article. An Article about your engagement. The engagement that no one knows about. Except apparently Jules who thinks she can get fucking proof!" Mica explained the obvious, his voice a whole pitch higher now. He was freaking out a lot more than Kaia was.

She wasn't freaking out. No, she was furious. She was fuming with rage.

"What the actual fuck?" Seemed to be all she was able to say, her grip around the phone tightening. She felt like throwing it at the wall but that wouldn't solve anything.

"Taylor was right," Mica pointed out.

Kaia's brain paused and she looked at him with a frown. "What?"

"She was right. She said she didn't trust her, and she was right! I didn't want to believe it either, but, it was right there! How could we have been so fucking blind?"

"I—" Kaia's whole body felt like it was on fire. She couldn't string any thoughts together, let alone say anything sensical.

The phone started ringing again and when she saw that it was the same unsaved number that had sent those messages, Kaia answered the call without thinking. Her eyes widened when she realised what she had done and she quickly handed the phone over to Mica who almost dropped it with his shaky hands.

"Fucking finally! Where the hell have you been?"

They looked at each other frozen in place, both of them unable to form any words, when the handle to the bathroom door started jiggling.

"Merde, on fais quoi là?!" [Shit, what do we do now?]

Kaia only shrugged because she had no idea. It wasn't like she was thinking in the first place.

"Hello?" The man on the other end of the line shouted.

"Hey, why's the door locked?" Whoever was on the other side of the bathroom door asked. "Who's in there?"

Kaia slowly lifted the phone up to her ear, cleared her throat, and in her best American accent, she said: "Hi, who am I speaking to?"

"Who the fuck are you?"

"I asked you first," she responded childishly.

"Is Jay Bird or whatever the fuck her real name is there?" he asked instead.

"What's going on in there?"

Mica ran to the door and leaned against it to say, "nothing, we're just shagging. We'll be out in a second!"

What the fuck, Mica?

He instantly turned to Kaia apologetically, knowing he totally messed up but she didn't hold it against him. They both had absolutely no fucking idea what was even going on.

Kaia turned her attention back to the phone call, calming herself down with a deep breath but her heart rate was still through the roof. "No, Jay Bird is not here. Can I take a message?"

"Yeah, tell her thanks for nothing. The story's running in the morning with or without those damn pictures, which by the way, my boss thinks was a complete bluff and I agree. She's not getting the ten grand for no pictures, anyway."

"Tomorrow morning, you say?" Kaia asked through clenched teeth.

"Yep. It's gonna be big. Everyone loves a fucking lesbian story with a happy ending for some fucking reason."