23

yall sorry im watching the asian cup basketball finale. super stressful. anyway. here's more fluff!!!!!!! AS PROMISED PLS STOP THREATENING ME AKDJSJSJS I WILL SOB

———

December, 2018

The sound of the piano keys resonated throughout the house as soon as Kaia stepped in. She pulled the beanie off her head and ran her fingers through her hair, the strands slightly wet. She hung up her coat and scarf and kicked off her boots haphazardly as she jogged further inside, hoping for some more warmth.

Winter was her favourite season but she preferred sitting under big blankets in front of a fire place instead of having to actually, physically face the brewing storm outside.

She stuffed her gloves into the front pocket of her hoodie and held the single rose she had brought back with her on her way back from a meeting in one hand, a scalding cup of coffee in the other. At least, the coffee kept her fingers warm.

"Hey, Dibbles, careful!" She said quietly, tiptoeing around the cat that had started rubbing her back against Kaia's leg.

Kaia stood right outside the music room, watching Taylor with her back turned as she played the piano, mumbling a tune under her breath. The blonde paused for a second, scribbled something in her notebook, and returned to the keys. This time, she sang much louder.

I once believed love would be burning red
But it's golden

Kaia smiled widely, taking another few steps into the room until she was standing right over Taylor's shoulder.

Taylor trailed off, reaching for her pencil again and scribbling some more on her page in her chicken scratch handwriting.

Kaia remembered one of their very first dates then, when they had gone to The Museum of Modern Art. Taylor had told her that the red paint in a particular piece represented love, and Kaia had naturally disagreed. She had done it playfully, just for the sake of teasing Taylor and maybe getting a laugh out of her. But instead, she had gone on a completely different tangent, a much deeper and more romantic one. She had looked at Taylor, taking in her blonde locks, the glow in her smile, her eyes... and she had said something stupidly sweet like love was bright and golden.

She didn't think anything of it, and never thought Taylor would have thought much of it either. After all, she had been disagreeing with her and Taylor did have an album literally called Red with one too many love songs on it.

But here they were and Kaia couldn't help but smile brightly.

And the song sounded absolutely beautiful.

She leaned her chin over Taylor's shoulder, wrapping her arms around her waist and holding out the flower first right in her field of vision.

"Writing another song about me?"

Taylor jumped in surprise but she soon relaxed and let out a soft chuckle. She dropped her hands from the piano and grabbed the rose's stem.

"Mhm, I might be using you as an inspiration," she answered coyly, tilting her head to glance at Kaia.

"Well, it sounded beautiful," she murmured, leaning all the way in until their noses brushed. "Happy birthday, Taylor."

Kaia noticed how her cheeks were slightly dusted in pink, making her smile even wider. She loved those cheeks so much.

"Thank you," Taylor replied, turning around on the piano stool and setting her hands on Kaia's waist to pull her closer.

Kaia hummed softly in response, placing her hand under Taylor's chin and tilting it up toward her so their lips met in a delicate kiss.