26: In a Perfect World

Start from the beginning

"This kid here," He said, pulling me over by my shoulders, "His name is Troye. Not 'fag'! Now if anyone has anything else to say, say it now. You won't be getting another time to do so anytime soon."

The room was silent.

And I was holding my chin up for the first time in that school as I walked back to my seat.

Connor's face was priceless. His jaw was hanging so low that it was practically hitting his desk. I don't think he was expecting that to happen on his first day.

I sat down on my chair as Mr. Butler said, "Thank you Troye." I nodded my head to signify I had heard him. He gave me a hopeful smile, and it came easy for me to return it back to him.

"Okay, on to the next thing," Mr. Butler started. I was kind of disappointed that he didn't just dedicate that block to rants on equality, but I understood where he was coming from. He was a teacher after all; he had to stay within the curriculum. "So we are going to talk about our unit assignment!"

There were unanimous groans that basically created a choir of disappointed-sounding children.

"So in celebration of our schools play, we will be writing an essay on the story of Cinderella!" More huffs and groans. "I want you guys to analyze four things about the story; the relationship between the step-family and Cinderella, the relationship between her and the Prince, the realism and how it is applied to add a sense of reality in the story, and the symbolism of all of the fantasy aspects of the story, like the 'Fairy God-mother' for example," He said, counting with his fingers.

Connor looked at me and made a chocking face. In fact, everyone in the class was practically wearing the same face as him. Well, expect for me that is. I was actually excited for this project. It sounded completely different from anything else that we had ever done. The project sounded like there was a lot that could be taken out of it, so I was actually really excited to try and give it a shot.

The rest of the class included Mr. Butler giving us instructions on how that assignment was going to be, and Connor and I exchanging notes and glances.

Finally, the bell that signified the end of the class rang, and everyone got up and left immediately after it rung. Connor and I stayed back so that I could talk to Mr. Butler. "Thank you," I said weakly as I approached his desk.

Upon getting to the desk, Mr. Butler gave me the biggest hug I think I had ever received. "Hey Troye, it's alright. It is stupid that they feel the need to hurt you like that, and I was only calling them out on it. If this continues to persist, just let me know okay?" He said into the hug.

When we pulled away, Mr. Butler kept his hand on my shoulder. "You two behave, okay?" He said, glancing between Connor and I. I wasn't sure what he was implying but I figured I would just go with it.

After we left the classroom, we were quickly greeted with Zoe. She had promised to show Connor the rest of the school and help him get to his classrooms, because I had to go home to do the rest of my schooling. I quickly said goodbye to the two and walked away, holding my head as high as possible.

I felt good. I felt strong. I felt like I could be okay with myself for the first time in ages. And it felt so good.

-

"Hey do you want to go out for supper?"

I just fired that text out to Connor because it was five and I was hungry as fuck. I wasn't meaning as much as a date as just a friendly evening out.

Connor quickly replied with,

"Like a date? ;)"

I face-palmed myself for always soundly like I am implying something different from what I actually was. I quickly responded before things got too awkward between us.