22: Transfer

Nicola came down to get Connor so that his mother could talk to him almost immediately after my singing experience. Connor and I both decided that it was probably for the best that I don't come along with him. As much as I was a part of everything that was happening with Connor and his family, this was his fight to fight. This was his war, not mine. I could only invade so much.

I was left on Connor's bed, scrolling through Tumblr and Twitter on my phone. I was glad that his bed was comfy because I was laying there for a long time. During that dull time, I got a notification on my phone. "Bitches Birthday Tomorrow," It reads. I thought about all the "Bitches" I know, and finally conclude that this Bitch refers to Tyde. After all, the next day was his birthday.

For a while, I occupy my thoughts with what I could get him. Eventually though, I heard the doorknob twist, so I looked up from my phone. I expected Connor to emerge from the door, but rather it was someone I had never seen in my life. His hair was dark brown and he was wearing a button up plaid shirt. "You're Troye, right?" He asked, closing the door behind him. He walked over and pulled Connor's desk chair over right in front of the bed to face me. He sat down and looked at me with curiosity. I could tell he was tired from his slow actions, but he also looked like he wanted to peel information out of me.

I nodded and said, "Yes I am. Who are you?" The guy sort of looked like Connor, so I supposed he was a sibling of his.

"I'm Dustin," He said, extending his hand out for me to shake. I looked at him questioningly, confused about the formal conversation. I took his hand in mine, and I was oddly surprised by how similar it was to Connor's. "I am Connor's older brother."

After that, we basically just stayed silent. Dustin and I didn't even look at each other. I could tell that this was going to be an awkward relationship for a while, until we accustomed to each other at least.

"Troye," Dustin started after a while. I looked over at him and cocked an eyebrow. "Thank you for being there for Connor." I glanced at him trying to get him to carry on. He finally sighed and continued with, "Most of Connor's friends are alright, but they are just there. They have absolutely no interest in him when he is sad; they only like having fun with Connor. Honestly, it didn't surprise me when he didn't go with them after getting kicked out. I just wanted to thank you for actually caring."

I give Dustin a soft smile. "Dustin, it was nothing. Connor and I are friends, and friends help each other when they need help. I didn't lend him a hand because I wanted to be thanked, so don't thank me for it. It was honestly what any sane person would do," I said. I was happy that someone other than Connor was acknowledging my actions, but I didn't want it to seem that I was only doing it for the attention.

"Connor deserves so much more than all this shit he has been put through," Dustin sighed. I nodded my head in agreement.

I let the conversation drop at that, but to me, the whole situation wasn't over. I was still thinking about everything that Connor had to go through.

During the random silence, I heard Connor shout, "I get it! But that is not going to stop me from being gay!" I glanced over at Dustin and we shared the same scared and yet oddly proud look on our faces.

It was crazy how two days before, Connor was crying and shaking over what his parents said to him, and now he was standing up for himself. I only wished I could tell him to try not to push back too much. He still needed to show his parents respect, otherwise he'd never get any in return.

"Good job, Connor," I said under my breath. Dustin looked at me through the corner of his eyes, and smirked.

Honestly, I thought Dustin might've been more on his parent's side, but when he said, "Yeah," in response to what I said, I knew that he was also proud of Connor.