26: In a Perfect World

I am going to skip the boring weekend, and get to the morning of Monday.

English class is always the first block on Mondays, so it was an early day for me. Plus, I had to pick Connor up from his house because it was his first day coming to my school.

Eventually, we ended up sitting in Mr. Butler's class together at the same desk. I think my teacher knew that Connor was the "special one" I was referring to days before, so he (thankfully) switched the seating arrangement so that we could sit next to each other. What a great guy.

We were a tad on the early side-like usual Troye fashion-so we sat at our desk, chatting to each other about our weekends.

"Oh, I have a swimming competition in two weeks!" Connor said with excitement. Not even going to deny it; Connor was super cute when he would talk about something he liked with passion like that. His face would relax, as did his posture, and his eyes would almost glow. Sounds cliché, but in fact, it was just pure adorableness.

With a little hesitation, I said, "Can I come?" I only hesitated because I was scared that Connor was going to feel like I was trying to invade his personal life. Guess I still hadn't grown out of the habit of expecting no one's attention, had I?

"No shit Sherlock!" Connor said loudly with a giggle. I was slowly starting to see his bubbly side come back.

Mr. Butler shushed us at the back of the classroom. He was busy doing something at his desk, but it was something that definitely didn't capture my attention. Overall, I think he was quite happy about having another student around the same intellectual value in his class.

People started trickling in after Connor and I finished with the conversation we were on. I accidently locked eyes with the cold ones that belonged to none-other-than Caspar Lee. I tensed at my mistake, and quickly averted my eyes. Fortunately, he didn't pursue me or call me out on my slip-up. It was almost as if having Connor there helped keep him in his lane.

Mr. Butler started the class shortly after. "Hello everybody," He said, putting emphasis on the 'hello'. He walked up to the front of the class, and I saw Connor pull out his notebook. "So there are a couple of things I have the pleasure to announce today. First, I would like to introduce our new student, Connor Franta!" Mr. Butler sounded super excited and happy to have the opportunity to announce Connor.

I heard a couple kids in the class giggle and snicker, even go as far as saying, "Ha, the fags found himself a boyfriend." Connor and I both tensed and exchanged uncomfortable glances at each other. Mr. Butler locked eyes with me, almost as if asking if I was the one who wanted to address the kids. I shook my head, not trusting myself to not make this a bigger deal than it already was.

Mr. Butler changed his eyesight to the kid who had said that statement. "Wow, real mature," He said, sounding fucking pissed. "Okay, I need to take a moment to address a very common issue with this student body. Troye, can you please stand up and come here for a second?"

I scrunched my eyebrows, but got up to the front none-the-less. I started fiddling with the edge of my sweater to give my nervous hands something to do. "Troye, are you gay?"

It was a simple question, but a shit ton of people to listen to my answer. I was scared to say 'yes' because of the judgement that I would receive. Then I realized that that is the exactly what my bullies want. They want me to be embarrassed about myself to make them seem higher and mightier than me. So with a deep breath, I channeled all of the public speaking skills that I had inherited from acting lessons, and said a firm, "Yes. I am gay."

"Boys and girls, look at this young kid for a second. Troye is not much different from you. You are all intelligent young kids with potentially bright futures, expect for one small difference. That difference is that you guys act like a jackasses to Troye because you are too bloody scared of Troye being comfortable with himself, even though his sexuality has no impact on you! You think Troye is the one living wrong? Please look at yourself in the mirror.