Cheers for Children

The next morning Chris awoke slowly. It took him a few moments before he realized where he was.

He rolled over in his bunk, looking at the other side of it. His dad was still asleep and making snoring sounds. Chris smiled, it sounded funny!

It would be a busy day today, Hawkeye told him people were coming to the 4077th, they would sing or something, he didn't know exactly.

Sidney and Frans would be leaving today also, he got a bit sad about that. He would miss the two men, even though Sidney made him a bit uneasy at times. Sidney seemed to look right through Chris, and he didn't always like that. He seemed to know everything.

Hawkeye groaned and started to wake up. He heard footsteps nearing the tent and the quick knock that followed. As Radar walked into the tent. "Morning, Hawkeye." He said happily.

Hawkeye turned around sleepy and replied. "Morning, Radar. What's going on?" Hawkeye yawned and stretched his arms above him.

"Nothing bad, just mail." Radar explained.

Looking at his son Hawkeye smiled softly. "I see you've woken up too. A good morning for you as well" The laughing man said ruffling the boy's already messy hair. He got rewarded with a small giggle from Chris. Which was followed by the child's shocked expression.

It looked like the little boy was trying to apologize but stopped midway when the adult smiled.

"Hey it's okay, ". the older man whispered soothingly. That seemed to do the trick.

Later in the mess hall, they were having breakfast when the door slammed open and Radar walked in.

"Guys! You probably haven't heard yet but Colonel Blake is expecting a baby any moment." He explained enthusiastically. "You can still bet on the outcome."

Radar said knowing Hawkeye was going to ask for it.

"Ohh boy, Ohh boy, " Hawkeye said while scanning the clipboard. He was feeling giddy, the army is sending entertainment today, a comedian and singers.

"Can I borrow five bucks from you?" Hawkeye said turning the Trapper

What no way! I gave you 5 bucks two days ago!"

"Trap! There's no way I can lose, I'm positive it's a baby!"

"How would you know, if you never met Henry's wife!" Trapper countered.

"I'll cover you." Frans said putting 5 bucks down. " It's just one more reason for you guys to visit us in Holland."

"You don't need to bribe me! We were already planning to visit after the war. But if you need to bribe me, just so you know! Alcohol works better." Hawkeye said, laughing at him.

"Oh really? I will remember that. We will have several Dutch drinks for you if you visit! " Frans said excitedly.

Then the teen turned a bit sad, he sighed and put his hand on Chris his head gently. "Ik ga Je missen, Wouter!" (I'm going to miss you, Wouter!)

The boy looked at Frans "I'm going to miss you too!" He felt tears well up behind his eyes.

"Hey. Don't cry. It's going to be okay. You guys are coming over for a visit after this war, so I can show you how it is over there."

Chris nodded, he felt Hawkeye's hand stroking his shoulders, after a gentle squeeze the hand disappeared. But it helped to dry his tears, he got his dad.

"Ohh the entertainment is here!" Radar said before hurrying out of the mess hall.

"I don't hear anything!" Frans said confused.