Chapter 74 - Arc 5.4 [EDITED]

Chapter 74: Strategies for the Harem's Struggle for Favor (4)

     Tao Yuan cleaned and dried the fresh rose petals, and then started to make rose juice. After the rose juice was made, part of it was sealed, and the others were used to make rose cakes.

     After finishing this, Tao Yuan took some rose juice and flower cakes to the Queen Mother again.

     The Queen Mother asked the palace maid to make tea with rose juice. After taking a sip from the cup, she took another sip of rose juice, feeling the sweet taste of the rose, which made her feel a lot more comfortable. Among so many kinds of flowers, the Queen Mother's favorite is not roses. She thinks roses are too glamorous, but she likes the scent of roses the most, so she made a small remote garden and planted them all with roses.

     “I didn't expect this rose juice to be so delicious just by making tea, and this flower cake is even better.” The Queen Mother put down the teacup and said in appreciation, then turned to the palace maid next to her and said, “Bring the treasure box on the dressing table of the Ai family.”

     The palace maid took the Queen Mother's treasure box and put it on the table. The Queen Mother opened one of the layers and took out a Mingyue[1] Pearl and said, “The Ai family is thinking, eating this flower cake and drinking this flower tea to enjoy the moon, it must be very elegant and interesting. This Mingyue Pearl is given to you. If you put it on your pillow at night, you can be regarded as having the company of the bright moon.”

{Ellie: [1] Mingyue - bright moon}

     “Thanking the Queen Mother for her reward.” Tao Yuan respectfully took the Mingyue Pearl in the hands of the Queen Mother. This kind of stone, which is made into a ball and can illuminate at night, was very rare in ancient times. The Queen Mother was willing to reward him this. It seems that she really like this rose juice and flower cake.

    In the past two months, Tao Yuan has also received a lot of rewards from the Queen Mother. Although Ye Rong was born with a reputation for calligraphy, he had a lot of affection for the Queen mother before, so the Queen Mother was still very biased towards him, but she has always been kind to Tao Yuan, and because of the delicacies that Tao Yuan made, she gave Tao Yuan a lot of rewards, but every time she rewarded Tao Yuan, she would definitely give Ye Rong a reward.

     This was the first time, before Ye Rong came, the Queen Mother rewarded Tao Yuan separately, indicating that in the Queen Mother's heart, she already had a high affection and recognition for him.

     After Ye Rong came, when he saw the cup of tea on the table, which still exuded a seductive rose scent, he knew that Tao Yuan must have come to please the Queen Mother again. Although he was quiet on the surface, he felt remorseful again in his heart, and he was more alert as Tao Yuan's rival.

     Tao Yuan returned to Chuxiu Palace, and the nobles of the generals’ family all came to his and Sun Yuan's room, drinking flower tea and eating flower cakes, and then they were full of praise.

     “It smells so good. I really want to put this flower juice in the room. It smells better at night. This smells much better than incense.”

     “I didn't like the floral fragrance of roses very much before, but I don't know why, this flower juice smells so good.”

     “Me too. I used to feel dizzy from the scent of roses, but this clear and sweet scent smells very comfortable.”

     “Don't patronize and smell it. After you drink it in your mouth, the fragrance will stay in your nose.”