Chapter 39 | Never Leave

Start from the beginning

She does the same and sends me a cute little wave before returning to her chocolate milk.

"She seems to be recovering well," I remark as I sit down while Zack takes all the food off the large tray.

"Doctors said she only needs to stay for another week," Zack emphasizes while cleaning the corner of her mouth with a napkin.

"Hey!" She squeals, "I can do that by myself. I'm a big girl!"

"I know. I'm just trying to help you, Lily," He explains calmly.

"Well, I don't need help," She waves her pointer finger through the air with a bit of sass.

For a child, she sure does have a lot of confidence. Then again, when I was her age, I insisted on wearing my hair in two high ponytails every-day.

I take a look at her and then notice Zack shaking his head.

"Don't worry. It's just a phase. She'll grow out of it in about twenty years," I joke with him.

He pulls my chair back and motions for me to sit while chuckling at my hilarious joke.

"Does that mean you are still the same sassy girl you were when you were four?"

"Yup," I exclaim as I open my fruit cup and grab a fork from beside me. The instant smell of cantaloupe causes me to almost gag, but I try to hide my nausea from Zack and Lily.

We both look at Lily as she begins to make noises from blowing bubbles in her chocolate milk.

Her tiny hospital gown clings to her small frame, making it hard to believe that she's already four. If I had to guess, I would say that she doesn't look a day over two.

But her content smile and happy dance with every sip bring joy to my dry soul. Her beautiful blonde hair lies on her tan shoulders. I notice a couple of cute freckles on the bridge of her nose, and I admire her beauty.

"You two; look a lot alike," Zack claims as he continues to munch on his grilled cheese sandwich.

Lily looks at me and smiles, "I want to look like her when I grow up!"

My heart warms as she stares into my eyes with her own.

"I want to look like you, princess," I say as I reach across the table and tap her on her soft nose.

She giggles and continues to slurp on her drink.

"Hey, I'm back. Who's this?" Grant speaks from behind my chair.

"Grant, this is Zack," I introduce the two boys.

At first, Grant doesn't seem to like the fact that I am hanging around a tall hot blonde dude, but once he realizes that we are just friends; he calms down and starts to devour his feast.

I think about how his credit card was so easily declined. Do we not have enough money to afford lunch?

My surgery must've cost a fortune, and my chemotherapy is not going to be cheap. I wish I could help in some way.

This is why I didn't want to come back here.

After we finish lunch, I hug Lily goodbye and tell Zack that I'll see him around.

Grant leads me back to my room, and we binge-watch the Hunger Games movies together until we both fall asleep in my hospital bed.

I wake up to a nurse checking my vital signs and taking some blood. She informs me that Dr. Khan is going to come in later for a post-surgery examination. Before leaving, I ask her for another blanket because Grant seems to be shivering.