Chapter 38 | Regret - (Blake's POV)

Start from the beginning

I tightly grip the steering wheel and swerve into the parking lot of the tall glass building. Dante greets me with a serious glare and does the job of parking my car in its usual spot.

As I barge into the back door of the lobby, a smell of smoke meets my breath. Its fragrance and strong aroma travel up my nose, tickling it on the way up.

What the hell?

Walking over to Antonio, I make sure not to waste any time with small steps or greeting the other employees. His black hair is cut short and neatly arranged to pair with his navy blue suit.

"Good evening, sir," He boasts while straightening his tie.

I grunt in acceptance and answer the ringing telephone.

"Hello?" I complain.

"Uh, sir? This is Christian with the cadets," His voice shakes, and muffled screams coming from the other end of the line.

"What's wrong?" I question.

"We are in the basement, and someone dropped a match during training. Half of the place is on fire, and the elevators don't work."

That's what the smoke was.

"Have you tried the stairs?" I suggest while motioning Antonio to tap into the cameras.

"They're blocked, sir," He pleads.

"Okay," I whisper, "How many cadets are down there?"

Antonio counts the cadets on the camera and answers my question, "Twenty-four."

Shit, I murmur underneath my sharp breaths.

"Christian, I need you to listen to me," I begin, "Take the kids into the supply room and cover the bottom of the door with any type of cloth."

He complies and begins to shout orders at the frightened students.

I can see the fire from Antonio's computer. It's quickly spreading throughout the entire basement of the building.

Fuck, all of our drugs are down there.

"Boss, we are all in the supply room," Christian's voice booms in my ear.

"Okay, good. Let me know if the temperature begins to increase. I am going to get help."

I contemplate calling the firefighters, but if they find out what kind of business we are running here, we would go to jail.

I groan in frustration and smash my fist against the marble countertop.

God, there has to be something I can do.

"How's the fire?" I ask Antonio while shouting orders at the men in the lobby.

"Grab all the fire extinguishers!"

"Someone find the fucking hose!!"

"It's not good, sir," He sweats, "It's almost to the supply closet."

"Oh god."

Dante rushes into the room carrying three fire extinguishers against his chest. Luigi quickly follows with another set, and someone runs into the lobby with the hose.

I grab an extinguisher and race towards the staircase.

"WHERE ARE YOU GOING, SIR?" Antonio yells through the whispers of my men.

"To save them."

I place my sweaty hand on the palm reader to open the door.

Palm not read.