Chapter One

"Y/N, hurry up. It's the first day. Just because you aren't able to talk, doesn't mean that you aren't capable of walking like a normal person." Camila snaps at me. God, the amount of dislike I have for her is too much to put into words.

"Camila, don't be so harsh." Sinu, my step-mum, scolded her eldest daughter.

"I'm not. I could always just leave her here to get to school by herself but knowing her she would probably get lost. She can't exactly asked someone for directions, can she?" Camila says sarcastically. I walk over to them holding the handles of my suitcases tightly. I shift uncomfortably from one foot to the other. "Lets go freak." Camila gestures towards the door.

"Bye princess. Text me whenever you can." My dad tries to hug me but I just shrug him off.

"Well she has no one else to text." Camila snickers. My dad looks at her sternly which quickly causes her to shut up.

"Bye honey." Sinu kisses Camila on the cheek.

He has always been so oblivious. I knew as soon as my dad forced me to live with him that I wasn't going to like the living arrangements one bit. I was so freaking right. Moving in with the women that broke my parents up was bad enough but the addition of my step-sister Camila just made everything worse. She teased and taunted me non-stop. She knew I couldn't do or say anything back because of my selective mutism. Being in the same room as her was hard enough but being teased by her at the same time was just impossible.

I follow Camila to the car before hopping into the back. I really didn't want to deal with her right now.. or ever. I hear the boot slam shut and a few seconds later she gets into the car, starting it up.

"Where does your dwarf live?" She questions me, glancing at me through the rear-view mirror. I go through my small backpack, celebrating internally when I find the piece of paper with Ally's address written on it and passed it to her with shaky hands.

When we pull up at Ally's house I immediately spot her on the porch. She jumped up happily from where she was sitting and grabbed her suitcases.

Ally has been my best friend ever since I was seven years old. She is a year older than me so she's eighteen this year unfortunately for me. I have one more year to go after she graduates and I don't know whether I can make it without her at school with me. She's my rock. My life practically revolves around her since she is the only one that I can actually talk too. I guess I'm just comfortable enough to talk to her.

"Hey Y/N!" Ally greets me excitedly after putting her suitcases in the boot. I waved back to her with a grin.

"Please don't let your eagerness catch on to me, it's sickening." Camila mutters from the front seat.

"Trust me, it wouldn't stick with you. You're too negative for anything good to happen to you." Ally glares at her.

"Ouch Allyson, that hurts like a bitch. I thought you said I was the negative one? I'm pretty sure that was pretty negative." Camila said smugly. Ally just rolled her eyes at the younger girl.

I ignore their banter, grabbing my phone and putting my headphones in my ears. I blasted Lana Del Rey, closing my eyes and resting my head back against the chair. This was going to be a long drive.

xxxxxx

My jaw dropped in awe as I took in my surroundings. The buildings were huge and there was girls everywhere. Well, of course there was. It was an all girl private boarding school after all but I guess my gay is showing right now as I practically drooled over them.

Ally gabbed my hand tightly as we made our way through the big crowds with our suitcases. Camila had already ditched us to look for her friends since this isn't her first year here. It took all my will power to even be near these girls. Sure, I could admire them from a distance but as soon as I was up next to them, or anyone really, that's when my anxiety decided to show itself. I feel Ally squeeze my hand every now and then to let me know that I'll be okay. I sent her a grateful smile.

Once we made it to the office Ally grabbed our schedules. I looked down at mine to see that we didn't start classes until next week. Thank god. I looked over to Ally's schedule, panicking slightly when I see that we aren't in the same dorm room. Great. Fucking great. This is going to be hell.

"It's alright Y/N, we're on the same floor. Our rooms are right across from each other so if you need me you just have to text me or knock on my door." Ally reassured me as we made it up to our floor. We first go to her dorm room and drop her suitcases off before we walk across to mine. I was startled when I see someone already there unpacking her things.

"Hi, I'm Ally!" Ally greets the girl enthusiastically. The girl turned around and smiled a small smile. She had black curly hair with blonde tips, brown eyes and a dark skin tone.

"Hey, I'm Normani." She shakes Ally's hand. She looks at me confused, trying to figure out why I wasn't talking to her.

"That's Y/N." Ally helps me out. I wave shyly.

"Uh hey." Normani looks at me weirdly.

Ally and I walk over to my bed and start unpacking my stuff. I didn't mean to bring so much stuff but every time I stumbled across something in my room that I had forgotten about, I just had to pack it.

"Geez, you didn't need to pack your whole room in your suitcase Y/N." Ally giggled. I shrug, embarrassed.

"Normani!" I was startled when the dorm door flew open, hitting the wall next to it with a loud thud. I turn around to see Camila hugging Normani tightly.

They're friends?

I thought Normani was a decent person.

Maybe she just has a crappy friend?

"Hey Cami! How was your break with that annoying step-sister you always complain about? Still being a little freak?" Normani chuckled, nudging Camila lightly. I look down sadly, turning back around to my bed to try and hide my face.

"What the fuck Normani! You're rooming with her." Camila burst out laughing. "That is so unlucky."

The only thing I heard was Camila's laughing as everything went silent but I could feel them looking at me. Seconds later I heard them both leaving, slamming the door close behind them.

"Don't listen to her Y/N." Ally tucked a loose strand of hair behind my ear.

"Okay.." I rasp out from not having talked for three days since that was the last time I had Ally alone.

She smiled slightly when she heard me talk.

"God, I miss that voice of yours." She pinched my cheeks but I quickly swat her hands away, rolling my eyes at her with a smile.

This is going to be one long year.

xxxxxx

Hey guys! You should give this story a chance! Let me know if I should continue it or not? I have ideas for what is going to happen and don't worry, Dinah will be introduced soon! Let me know what you think of it. I know Camila is the sweetest human ever but I had to make her a meanie in this story, maybe it will change? Maybe not? I don't even know haha. By the way, selective mutism is where you can only talk to certain people that you are comfortable enough to talk too but you physically can't talk to others. There's more to it but like, I guess that's the main thing you have to know! Vote, comment and stay awesome! Love you all xx