Ball

I was quiet the whole car ride to the ball. My nerves were working, getting the best of me. Especially since I always rode alone. When we arrived, my guards escorted me to the ballroom.
Now that I'm standing here, looking around the room I don't know anyone privately. I don't have any friends here, I just know the men by their 'fame'. And I can see some of them already noticed me. I have this uneasy feeling in my gut but I have to smile. One starts approaching me.

"Miss Rivera long time no see." The man says.

"Ah yes... It was indeed a long time." I say nodding my head a little as to say hello.

"So what have you been doing?" He inches closer.

"Oh nothing much, I am just busy with my studies, you know how that is. Don't you have a daughter my age?" I say awkwardly.

"Indeed I do but you, my darling are one of a kind. You've changed a lot since the last time I saw you." He says, looking me up and down.

Gross.

"Well thank you." I clear my throat, this situation is so awkward.

"Do you have a fiance already, maybe?" He scratches the back of his hand.

What. The. Fuck.

"No, not yet. But my father is looking for a perfect match." I blurt something out, just so he leaves me alone. 

"Hmm, maybe-" He starts to think.

"Sorry, I have to go meet some other people, I will be back shortly." I cut him off, smile, and turn around.

This is a new one, please don't tell me they want to marry me now. 

"Oh miss Rivera, hello." Another man stops me with his sleazy smile.

"Hello, sorry I am in a bit of a hurry, I will return to you soon." I brush him off and leave quickly.

"Hey! Where are you off to?" He shouts behind me.

This time they are really after me.  I need a drink and to go hide somewhere, cuz this is insane. One of the servers approaches me and I grab a glass of champagne. 

"Thank god." I breathe out.

I'm heading to the garden and while looking to the floor, I hate seeing how all the men stare at me. In a matter of seconds, it feels like I hit a hard wall. 

"Shit." My glass falls to the ground, some of the champagne spilling over me.

At that moment I'm aware that two strong hands are holding my arms, I look up and there is this tall man, with black hair, dark blue eyes, tattoos, and a scar on his cheekbone looking down on me.

"Watch where you're going, kid." He says arrogantly.

"Kid? I'm not a kid." I shake his hands off me.

"Just watch it." His eyes feel like they're piercing me.

"Ever! Come on, leave the girl alone." Someone yells for him.

Ever smirks and brushes past me. He's Fox De Santis's older brother. The annoying and arrogant one. I glare at his back and leave. Outside I sit on the bench and take a deep breath. I take a napkin from my bag and wipe some of the liquid off my clothes. My guards must have lost me, cuz there is no one else here but me.

"Finally a bit of peace." I sigh and lean back.

"Hey. Am I disturbing you?" A voice ends the silence.

"Jesus, not even a 5-minute break." I mouth, rolling my eyes.

As I turn around I see Fox.

"May I sit down?" He looks at the empty space next to me.

"Oh, uh yes, sure." I nod. 

Is this a dream? That's not real right? I don't think he ever noticed me before.

"I came to apologize for the rudeness of my brother." He smiles.

"It's ok, don't worry about it." I feel my face is getting all red.

"He ruined your dress." Fox looks to my chest and smirks a bit.

"I can buy another one, don't worry about it." I fidget.

"No please, let me take care of it, miss?" He raises an eyebrow.

Never in my wildest dreams would I think he'd talk to me.

"Y/N Rivera."  My voice almost breaks.

At that moment gunshots are coming from behind us. I turn around and all the lights are out and people are screaming. I stand up in shock and Fox does the same.

"Excuse me, miss Rivera." He says while already running inside.

I stand there for a moment, not comprehending what is happening. Is my dad okay?  What is going on? Fear sets in my chest and it's getting hard to breathe. After a few moments my legs finally start to work and I run towards the building. I'm not paying attention to anything else and in that moment I'm grabbed from behind. A hand is put over my mouth and I feel a sting in my arm. What the hell is going on? I try to fight my attacker but it's not use. I feel all the strength leave my body. My eyes feel so heavy, I don't want to but I close them. A last few breaths leave my body and I'm gone. Now it's only darkness surrounding me.