A Close Call

When your eyes opened, you stared at the turtle's ceiling. Your body ached, and you still felt a little tired. You slowly sat up but flinched, feeling pain all over your body. Finally, your body fell back against the couch, and you decided it was best not to move.

   " You're awake. "

You looked in the direction of the person who spoke, and you saw Bucciarati walking towards the sofa you were lying on. He crouched beside the couch and raised his hand to grasp yours.

   " How long has it been? Where is everyone? "

   " It's been almost a day. When the sun set we found a trucker and rode with him until our position was compromised. Now, everyone is outside of the turtle, getting a car for us to travel to Venice. "

   " Venice. . .Okay. "

   " Are you able to heal yourself? "

You shook your head and leaned on the couch, slightly cringing at the pain. Then, finally, you sat up and swung your legs over the side of the sofa. Bucciarati still held your hand within his, holding it gently.

   " I think it's best if I just let everything heal on its own for a bit. I've just woken up, and I have my strength back, but my gut is telling me not to try and heal myself yet. I think I'll let everything heal on its own for a bit longer, and then I'll heal myself up. "

   " Alright. I do have one other piece of business to discuss with you. "

Bucciarati moved from the floor to the couch and sat beside you. His right leg was touching your left, and both of his hands held one of yours. He moved his face to be closer to yours as he spoke softly.

   " On the train, when you jumped out with Prosciutto, you called for me outside of the train. "

   " Yes, I yelled for you to close the zipper. Did you or was that my stand? "

   " That was your stand. But, that's not what the main point is. When you called me, you called my first name, 'Bruno' instead of 'Bucciarati'. "

   " Oh, did I? I'm sorry if I did. I wasn't really focused on what I was saying, but trying to get Prosciutto's ability to stop. "

Bucciarati smiled and laughed a little, feeling himself relax a little from your comment. Then, he smiled toward you, with his blue eyes shining.

   " No, I was going to tell you to call me Bruno from now on. I think you deserve as much since you saved my life, plus I feel like we have gotten closer, no? "

You felt your own smile appear on your face, and you nodded, agreeing with Bucciarati. Bucciarati felt his heart beat faster, and his mind felt fuzzy. His hands holding yours felt warm, and he couldn't stop smiling while he was beside you. But his smile soon faded when he lifted his head and looked at Trish. Trish stood on the chair used to exit the turtle, and her hand reached toward the ceiling to leave.

   " Please get off the chair. It's very dangerous outside. "

   " Now see here, Mr. Bucciarati. If it's okay, would you answer a very ridiculous question for me? "

   " Depends on the question. "

   " What should I do if I need to go to the bathroom? You wouldn't tell me to wear a diaper, would you? "

Bucciarati paused and leaned forward, resting his head on his hand and his elbow on his knee.

   " I see. A reasonable question. "

   " I'm glad you understand. "

Bucciarati sat beside you for a few moments before standing up and walking to the empty closet. He pulled the door open and crouched low to the floor. When he stood up, you saw what he had done. He had opened a portal with a zipper on the closet floor. Bucciarati stood up and gestured to the small unzipped space.