Getting Into Passione

You looked at all of the people you passed by on the narrow street. It was a warm and sunny day, but the two men beside you were still wearing their suits.

   " Passione. That's the name of the organization. It means 'passion,' but it is not the Boss's name. No one knows the Boss's real name, nor has anyone ever seen him. The only person who has ever gotten close was your friend. " Bruno explained, looking at you.

Giorno's eyes turned to look at you, and you nodded your head. You walked between Bruno and Giorno, but you had only zoned out on the conversation knowing everything about Passione. You only paid attention when Bruno looked your way.

   " I got close but I never saw his face. "

   " How? " Giorno asked, curious at how you could have met someone who probably didn't exist on any file.

   " Well, Giorno, when you're not part of the mafia or any organization, yet you help them, it gets the attention of people. I've helped Passione's members a few times, with small things. You know, I helped the injured, and things like that. I haven't touched the drug business and I don't plan to. But, one a particular day, I was walking around the park, when a man approached me. He said he was part of Passione, and that the Boss wanted to meet me. I didn't realize how big a deal it was, until afterward. I was taken really, against my will, because they said the Boss wouldn't take 'no' for an answer. They took me to a random place, after blindfolding me, and I met the Boss there, but I never saw his face, afterward, I was taken back to the park and left there. Usually, he will pass orders down to the top managers, known as caporegime. "

   " Why did the Boss want to meet with you? " Giorno continued to ask.

   " It was an offer. He had said he had taken notice of my kindness and wished to compensate me. I didn't want any compensation and made this clear. He then asked if I would join Passione, but I denied the offer. "

   " You denied the offer? "

   " Yeah, I did. I just help people because I like helping people. I didn't do it to be recognized. It's important you understand what I'm doing Giorno. "

You turned towards Giorno and faced him. Giorno was serious, but when your eyes connected, he felt himself sweat a little bit, seeing how serious you had gotten. Giorno could never be afraid of you, but he would be fearful of some of the things he would hear you go through.

   " I am going to join you in your dream, throwing away my neutrality in the mafia community. Understand that Giorno, because once I do this, I cannot go back to being neutral. I never wanted to join the mafia, and I never intended to, and that was because I knew if I joined a specific organization, I would be targeted greatly. "

   " I didn't ask you to join me. "

   " But I'm going to join you, because you are my friend, and you'll need me. Don't deny it. I want to help you with your dream, even if that means putting myself in danger. "

Giorno felt pride when he looked at you. He couldn't ask for anyone better to help him. Bruno stopped in front of a prison, causing you to stop with Giorno behind you. When you looked at the prison, you knew who you would be meeting, and you were not excited to meet the capo inside.

   " The capo who will decide your acceptance into Passione is a man named Polpo. He's inside this building. " Bruno said, pointing his thumb at the prison.

   " This building? But this is a prison. "

   " That's right. Polpo was found guilty of a certain crime and won't be out for another fifteen years. But he still issues orders from the inside and wields power in the organization. He could escape from prison at any time if he wanted, but he doesn't. There's no need to. "