One

I hopped out of bed my bare feet hitting the cold hardwood floor. My eyes shot open to reveal my small bedroom. My family wasn't rich, but we definitely weren't poor, we were middle class like most of the people living in our small town located in the middle of nowhere. We lived in Texas but not in the huge noisy cities that buzzed with wannabe singers, we lived on a farm with chickens, goats, and horses.

I heard my mom yelling at my little brother downstairs, she does that a lot. It was only then did I realize I was really late getting up to work on the farm. I prepared myself for her wrath because I was supposed to be up earlier than 8:00AM on the weekends. She expected that both my brother and I were up at 6:30AM sharp and not a minute later. I fixed my messy hair and walked down the stairs slowly, dreading the moment I lock eyes with her.

"Really!?" She said raising her voice as she turned towards me, "you're one and a half hours late getting up!"

"Sorry." I grumbled.

"No, Brie if you were really sorry you wouldn't have slept in for two weekends in a row!"

"It's the weekend!" I shot back.

"The only reason I had children was for you to work on my farm! It seems as though I have to hire someone and waste more of the money we don't have!"

Mom always babbled on about money and how we have to apply ourselves to the farm, but I just ignored her half the time. The truth is neither my brother or I are excited waking up at 6:30AM on the weekends to do her chores around the farm. I would prefer to hang out with my friends, go to parties, actually having a social life like other sixteen year olds, but I don't get the option to do so.

"Well stop standing around!" Mom hollered at Oliver and I, "go do your work!" Her voice was pitchy and annoying.

I walked up the stairs groaning. Oliver at my heels as I climbed the stairs, I was tempted to stop and have him stub his toe on my foot but I decided not to. Oliver was your typical ten year old, he didn't want anything to do with his older sister, (I didn't want anything to do with him either, but still it would be nice to talk.), he was really into Legos, he created so many Lego sculptures he tried storing them in my room since his got too crowded lets just say that didn't work out too well on his side. Oliver was always on his iPad which made my mom crazy she normally takes it away if she sees him on it, but the amazing thing about this ten year old is he would never talk back to me or my mom he respected us as long as we respected him.

I quickly went into my bedroom closing the white door behind me. I grabbed a red flannel from my dresser, peeling off my pajama top and putting the flannel on, the material of the flannel hung loosely on my body as I buttoned it up. I grabbed a pair of blue jeans (I hated jeans but I had to wear them while I was working.) I put the jeans on quickly making sure I zipped up the zipper. I topped the whole outfit off by splitting my long dark brown hair down the middle and braiding loose braids down the side of my head. I slipped my brown cowboy boots with the American flag on and entered the bathroom. It was a small messy bathroom, but what else do you expect from a sixteen year old girl? I looked at the counter and saw the very small amount of make up I had. Mom didn't buy me a lot of make up because she always said, "it's better not to wear any," but I beg to differ. I had one tube of mascara, foundation that was almost empty, and a stick of concealer. I decided to save the little amount of make up for school and went without any.

After a long day of fetching chicken eggs, awkwardly milking the goats to make cheese, and taking care of the horses I finally had some free time for myself. I sat in my room on my messy bed scrolling through Instagram. My phone buzzed which caused my eyes to look away from the picture of a horse and to Penny's message.

Text Message:
Fern: There's a huge party tomorrow are you coming!?
Me: a party on Sunday...?
Fern: yeah! It'll be fun c'mon!
Me: idk I'm going to have chores like always...
Fern: Omg you're always such a goodie. Just skip for one night! It'll be the best night of your life
Me: I'll think about it...

Inside of me I really wanted to go to that party, I even have the most perfect dress. I knew if I asked mom she would never let me go, not in a million years. Something inside of me felt anger towards my mom, I mean she made me miss out on almost my whole teenage life and I'm not going to let her mess this up. I looked over to my closed closet door, most of my country wear was hung on racks inside of the closet, and at the very back sat a lonesome dress waiting to be worn. I hopped out of my bed and opened my closet, I pushed back the many pairs of jeans, loose t-shirts, and flannels to reveal the beautiful white dress. It was very tight on my body and revealed some cleavage, and made my butt look really good. I wanted to rip off my jeans and flannel and change into the dress right away, but I'd have to wait another long night before I could get ready for my very first party.

<><><><><><><><><><><>
Comment, vote, share, follow
I hope you liked the first chapter!