Chapter 12: Fiery Promises

Footsteps and panting could be heard as the two figures ran away from a tiger. The striped carnivore was starving and its lunch was right in front of its eyes, trying to run away for their lives. Unfortunately for the two figures, the tiger was faster than them and it pounced on one of the two of them.

As the tiger roared at its prey, the other figure still standing shouted, "HEY! GET OFF OF HER!" A ball of fire proceeded to be thrown at the predator from him.

The fire caught on to its fur and it knew that if the fire wasn't put out, it would burn to death. The pinned figure then used her legs to kick the tiger off of her and used the power of the earth to punch it to the other side of the forest.

"And stay away from us!" She yelled at the tiger who went flying while deactivating her copied powers.

The girl turned out to be Skylor. She turned towards Kai and smiled, "Not bad, hot tamale," She gave him a wink, "Almost did better than me."

"I can't argue with that," Kai held his hands up in defense, still on fire, "You did great, Sky. Maybe you could pass off as an official Ninja one day, hotness," He smirked.

Skylor laughed, "As much of an honor as that would be, you already know why I can't be a Ninja. I have my noodle business to worry about, I don't think adding 'being a full-time Ninja' into my schedule would help at all, Kai."

Kai rolled his eyes, still smirking, " I mean, yeah, that is true. Well, haven't you always been the smart one out of the two of us."

"Well, I know that I'm not the reckless one out of the two of us," She positioned her hand in front of her mouth to stifle a chuckle.

"Wa- Hey! It isn't that bad to be as reckless as I am sometimes. Plus I wouldn't do something stupid enough to danger us."

"Mhm, yep," She turned around to face her boyfriend with a smug, know-it-all look, "And still having your hand on fire isn't a fire hazard since the forest isn't made out of wood."

Kai's face changed in an instant as he just realized his hand was on fire, "Huh? OH, OW OW OW OW!" He screamed as he jumped up and down, trying to put out the fire on his hand.

He may be the Master of Fire but unfortunately, that doesn't mean he's fireproof.

Skylor had an amused look on her face before she used Nya's water powers and walked towards him. She reached forward and took his burning hand in hers. The fire was instantly put out as soon as their hands touched - the water putting the fire out.

Kai sighed in relief before looking at his girlfriend with a smirk, "I've always known this but I can always count on you to save me, Sky."

She rolled her eyes playfully before pulling him in for a quick kiss, "Same goes for you, Kai. You may be a reckless hothead but I know I can always count on you too."

Their faces were mere inches away from each other's now, both of them with smug smiles on their faces.

Kai took in Skylor's beauty; her silky red hair in her signature high ponytail. Oh, he could spend hours upon hours just stroking her soft hair while sitting down on a couch with her as she read a book. He could imagine starting a family with her one of these days.

Skylor was the most amazing woman he has ever met in his life. She was strong and independent, fiery and spirited, loyal and committed. She's everything he was missing in his life. She's the piece he never knew was missing until their eyes made contact that night on the docks. His fire melted her cold icy heart and he freed her from her father's control.

If he knew one thing, it was that he trusts Skylor with his life. He'd do anything for her, and he knew she'd do the same for him.

"Skylor," His smirk turned into a loving smile.