XLVIII. THE BEAST OF BEACON HILLS

Start from the beginning

Madison winced with her next step, causing Liam to stop. His eyes flashed a bright yellow for a moment, his eyebrows furrowing in concern as he stepped towards her.

"Madi, you're hurt," he realized, placing a gentle thumb upon her bruised lip, "why didn't you say anything earlier?"

Madison looked down, embarrassed. She was supposed to be the strong one. Madison didn't get hurt. She wasn't supposed to. She was the one that was there for others when they got hurt—she wasn't supposed to be weak.

"We're looking for Mason. I'll be fine." The werewitch explained stubbornly, trying to wave the concerned beta off as Liam shook his head in discontent.

"I'm already losing Mason. I can't lose you too. We've got to get you home," Liam said, and when Madison tried to reject his offer, he wouldn't hear of it.

"Liam, really...it's oka—" Madison was cut off when Liam picked her up, gently placing his arm under her knees and the other on her back.

Madison could feel Liam's exhaustion in each step he took. She decided upon silence, not wanting to argue and taint such a serene moment. The two were both exhausted, but being in each other's presence reminded them why they were doing this in the first place.

Her heart swelled as she could feel the gentleness in his movements as he carried her, not wanting to hurt her or injure her wounds further. Being in the beta's presence, being able to simply exist with him with all the chaos floating around them reminded her of one thing; she had to fight. She had to win. If not for herself, then for Liam.

***

Madison and Liam arrived to her apartment a few minutes later. Upon opening the front door, Madison saw her father and grandfather, who seemed to have be awaiting her arrival.

"Dad? Gerard? What are you guys doing here?" She asked tiredly, rubbing at her eyes as she gestured them all to the couch.

Liam stood still beside her, not sure if he should leave, but her hand motioning for him to follow her told him all he needed to know.

"Madi," Chris greeted, "Liam," he slowly acknowledged a moment later, as the beta politely smiled his way.

"We assume Lydia's already explained to you everything you need to know," Gerard began, watching as Madison nodded, "we told her to let your friends know, we have to do everything to keep you safe...or else Beacon Hills as we know it will crumble."

Madison raised an eyebrow, gesturing for Gerard to continue.

"You don't need further training. You see, Madison, this is all a mind game. It tests your mental strength, if you can handle the pressure of your powers."

Madison blinked and tilted her head to the side.

"What? I don't understand."

"If you don't fight it, your werewolf side will materialize into a nightmarish being, or take over your body completely. You'll be trapped in your worst nightmares, forced to watch while the Beast in you roams free, wreaking havoc wherever it goes, and hurting the ones you love."

Madison gulped, feeling her palms grow sweaty. She glanced at her father nervously, who gave her a sympathetic look.

"I'm so sorry that I never told you sooner," he said, rubbing a hand over his face, "I never wanted you to have to deal with this burden. You can blame me...you can resent me all you want. All I ever wanted to do was keep you safe, and I'm sorry I couldn't do that either."