CHAPTER 16: THROWING KNIVES

Magsimula sa umpisa

She sighed, propping her chin on her hand, staring blankly at her workbench. What choice did she have? She couldn't be in two places at once.

***

She met Midnight at her safehouse and found him upstairs. She wasn't sure what mood he'd be in, considering how good he was at disguising them. He glanced at her entry but said nothing. The fact that he hadn't attacked her at the front door was a good sign...or a very bad one. He was busy setting up. She looked over their surroundings, taking note of anything that had moved. Targets were assembled at the far side of the floor. Throwing knives. It had been a while. She'd grown sloppy, using prism daggers to do her work. Would he notice? She chewed on the inside of her cheek.

When he turned, his expression was emotionless. Yes, definitely still pissed. She opened her mouth, ready with an apology, but he didn't give her the chance. "Our practice will be short today. I've been called in."

She hesitated. "By the Spectrum?"

"No, by my mother. Who do you think?" He laid an array of knives out on the table. Pissed.

"For what?"

"A full mask has gone missing. They've called a meeting later this afternoon. Just a few of us."

She stopped short. "Oh." Her heart thumped.

He shrugged. "It happens. He probably left the city on buisness and forgot to say something about it."

Forgot? Did he expect her to believe that? She licked her lips. "Which full mask?"

"Doesn't matter. Let's get started." He nodded toward the table and picked up a knife. She placed herself beside him, adjusting her stance, gauging the target. He threw the first and struck the bullseye, glancing at her before picking up another. Right before he threw, he hesitated.

"Well?" She arched a brow at him. "Clearly you've got more to say."

His jaw flexed. He pressed the tip of the blade against his finger, drawing a prick of blood. She watched it ooze around the blade. "Our relationship is like this knife," he mused. "Sharp on both edges. I can just as easily keep information from you as you can me."

There it was. She sighed. "I'm not going to apologize for arguing with you, if that's what you're after. But..." She exhaled, steeling her nerves, deciding on honesty. "You were right. I am just an apprentice. To be frank, I was also surprised the Council gave me a high-profile assignment." She chomped down on her tongue to stop from saying everything else she wanted, that she wished he had higher confidence in her abilities.

"I'm glad you see it."

"I do. But I've decided not to tell you anyway."

A vein in his neck ticked. "Tabby—"

"Listen, Midnight." She met his flinty gaze. "I may be an apprentice, but like you said, I can't simply coast to the finish line. I'll be twenty-five soon. If you spoon-feed me, I'll fail the moment I'm out on my own. I need to do this. I need to prove that I'm capable."

"And if I don't think you're capable? If I don't think you can do this alone?"

She clenched her jaw and schooled her features, even though she wanted to scream, or stab him with the knife in her hand. Instead, she shrugged. "Then I'll fail. The Spectrum will sweep the floor clean of me. You'll be free of an apprentice a whole two months early. Lucky you."

He pinched the bridge of his nose, finally showing a shred of frustration. "If that happens, you'll deserve it. But I will have failed you."

"No, I will have failed me. And quit acting as if you care about my death."