Chapter 3

New message from Cesar:

C: think you can meet up for lunch at chipotle?

A: um... One sec

A: yeah sure. Be there at noon?

C: great! See you soon :)

And to think, six months ago I wouldn't go out to lunch with this guy if it was the last thing I did.
"Bye mom!" I called as I rushed out the door, trying to avoid confrontation.
"Where you going?"
Shoot. Nice try, though.
"Um... Chipotle." I have a smug smile.
"Cesar?" She frowned. "Please don't lose your mind, Avia."
"God Mom! You and Dad have made it clear you hate my choices, but I am an adult! I am fully capable of making my own freaking decisions! So I don't need you commenting on everything I do, it makes me feel worse about it! I'm not an idiot, I'm not gonna climb in Cesar's car and get drunk! I'm not stupid! Ok? So please, I love that you guys are concerned, but could you please just... Not voice your opinion on everything in everything I do?" I spat out. I was angry, understandably. I saw the sadness in Mom's face.
"Mom I... I didn't mean-"
"You're right, Avia. I need to trust you. You are not a little girl anymore. I just love you too much to let you get hurt." She smiled. "It's ok. I needed to hear that. It's the little kick I needed."
"I love you." I hugged her. "This doesn't mean I don't need your help, ok?" I looked at her.
"I know. Have fun, don't get anything with beans, you'll be breathing in your own farts all day." She laughed.
"Bye Mom!" I shut the door.

When I arrived at Chipotle, I saw Cesar already seated with nachos in front of him.
"Hey." I waved at my side.
"Hi! I'm glad you could come!" He smiled and pushed the nachos in the middle. "For the coffee yesterday. Dig in." He winked.
"Thanks, you didn't have to!" I said, sounding extremely cliché.
"So... What's up?" I asked.
"Nothin. Just thought we could get to know each other more." He smiled. "I mean it's only been a decade."
"Yeah, crazy, huh?" I couldn't think of anything to say. He grabbed a nacho.
"Love these things!" He said, shoving more nachos in his mouth. Only he could make a mouth full of chewed good look good.
"Yeah they're amazing." I lied. I hated nachos, actually. Literally, they were near the top on my list of most disgusting foods. But I wasn't going to let him buy me food, only to have me eat none. I took a nacho with little cheese or jalapeño on it.
"So seriously Avia, how've you been? We've caught up and all, but you know, how are you?" He asked sweetly. I still can't believe this is the same guy sent to prison for harassing me.
"I mean, busy. I kinda miss the beach." I paused. "Ok I really miss the beach."
Cesar laughed. "Yeah its beautiful, right?"
I nodded.
"You seem quiet, is everything alright?" He asked.
It almost bothered me how he treated our... Friendship... Whatever you call it... So casually. I know I was the one who suggested starting over, but he really dive head first. He seems to act as if he didn't ruin my life just months ago. That's not where I am yet. I want to move even slower. Yet, at the same time, I wanted to move so much faster.
"I'm fine. Just tired." I faked a smile.
"Ok." He gave a concerned smile. "So... Um... " he paused and looked down, obviously at a loss of ideas. I pretended to look at a text message.
"Shoot, I gotta go. Parents have a meeting and I need to babysit the kids, can I take a rain check?" I smiled.
"Oh... Uh, yeah. Definitely. Bye!" He waved.
"Thanks so much for the nachos, I loved them! Definitely have to come back here!" I completely lied. "Talk to you later?" I said.
"For sure." He waved again. "Bye, Avia."

Once I got back into my car, I flopped my head back on the seat. I couldn't believe I just lied to get out of there. He didn't even do anything wrong. It was going fine. Yet I blatantly lied to his face about a text I never received. I was the one who wanted to keep in touch with him, but now, I am trying to avoid him. I feel bad, he didn't even screw up today. He was being friendly. I just abandoned him. I had half a mind to go back in and finish our lunch. But I didn't. I didn't do a thing.