Scared

VIVIANE'S POV

I was sat on the couch, I had checked on the girls earlier, I was finding it hard to connect with them especially Sage.

"I'm going to bed you coming babe?" Luke said getting up from the couch.

"Yeah Coming" I said deep in thought. "What's on your mind" he said, "the girls" I sighed as he came up and brought me to his side while we walked up the stairs.

"I just don't feel like I'm connecting with them" I said sadly.

"It's still very early on give them a chance hun" he said rubbing my back while we entered our room.

We settled into bed and started to drift off to sleep "goodnight love you" Luke said, I smiled and replied "night love you too"

I woke up to hear a voice from Sage's room it was quiet but I was a light sleeper, I checked the time to see it was 3am.

I got out of bed leaving Luke to sleep and tip toed-to Sage's bedroom.

I opened the door the room was full of darkness but I could see sage's small figure in her bed.

I walked over knowing she was asleep. "Please I'm sorry we were hungry I'm sorry" she pleaded in her sleep.

My heart shattered as I knew she needed me. I got into her bed and pulled her into me slowly cradling her.

"Your okay..your okay" I repeated while rocking her in my arms

She stopped talking so I knew she was either awake or her nightmare had stopped.

The feeling of knowing my voice helped her made me feel not so useless.

"You know the only thing that got me through recovery was the thought of you girls" I whispered.

"Even though you may not be awake or know this but I thought of you every day and I even sent letters to your father" I continued.

"Once I even got the courage on your sixth birthday to drive to your house, but when I saw you bouncing on a castle I thought you didn't need me" tears rolled down my face when my voice cracked.

"I love you girls" I said kissing her on the head before bringing her sleeping body closer to me.

I soon drifted into darkness while holding sage In my arms.

SAGE'S POV

I woke up to somebody sleeping next to me, they were snuggled into my back and had there hand over my stomach.

I turned over to see Viviane lay next to me, that's when the memories from last night flooded in.

She started to stir so I got up grabbing a blanket from the bed and aimlessly walked around the house until I made it to the kitchen, i grabbed a glass of water and looked at the time it was only 5am so I decided to go to the living room.

I didn't like how Viviane was trying to intrude in on our life and take control of what we do, Harper is my sister and I've raised her not that woman that calls herself our mother.

I settled on the couch and started scratching my arms while daydreaming, which was a habit of mine.

I heard somebody groaning behind me, as I looked I saw Harper yawning while walking towards me.

"Why are you up?" She questioned me while curling up on the couch next to me.

"Couldn't sleep" I replied while she gave me a concerned look.