Things Fall Apart |part 2|

Welcome back

I look down to see the dinosaur's beady eyes staring right back at me. It lets out a loud, deafening roar as I widen my eyes.

"Who gave this guy the right to break out?!" I mutter to no one in particular. There was no response in return, only the screeching from the beast.
Everyone was too frightened to say anything.

It claws at the structure again and I watch as Ben starts to slide through the fence. I reach to him and grab the back of his shirt to keep him stable.

Suddenly we're lifted up, but to only be slammed down again.

Sammy starts to fall over the railing and my breath catches in my throat.
"Sammy!"

Yasmina was quick to catch her hand.

"Hold on!"
Darius yells as him and I scramble to help pull her back up.

"The zip line! Go, go, go!" Darius shouts, pointing towards it. I get what he means and I start to rush everyone to it.

Kenji pulls down the first seat and I drag Ben over to it, sitting him down. The watch tower was struck again and we all shook and Ben started to panic.
"I can't! I can't! I can't!"

Kenji and I both groan, "Here!" We each grab one side of the buckle and clipping it in for him. I look to Kenji and he's already staring at me. I nod towards him and he nods back, a simple sign of appreciation.

Ben starts to slide down slowly, trying to reach for the railing and starts to freeze up. The Indominus Rex bangs up against the structure again, making me stagger.

I run up to Ben, placing my hands on his shoulders. "Hold on!" I shout before pushing him off, watching as he slowly moves out of view.

Then Sammy, Kenji, Brooklynn, and Yasmina make their way down the zip line. I was next.

I had offered for Darius to go before me but he didn't want to. There was no time for arguing anyways.

We watch as the zip line stops, halting their movements. The watch tower shakes again.

"What's happening?" I ask towards Darius, not taking my eyes off of the other's figures.
"It's the emergency break!" He pauses for a moment and I looked at him.

"I have an idea." He starts to unbuckle himself.

"Darry, if you're doing what I think you're doing, I assure you it's not a good idea!" I shout to him, trying to form an idea of my own.

"Didn't you say you were strong? Like, really, really strong?" Darius asks, taking a few steps back.

"Uh, no! What are you talking about?!"
"Well, catch me!"
"What?! Wait no, Darius!"

He suddenly flings himself into my arms, attaching to me like a koala. The force of his body sends us flying down the zip line.
"This is not what I thought you were doing!" I shriek on the way down, keeping a secure hold on him.

"It's working. It's working!"

In an instant, the line snaps, making us all fall through the trees.

Distant screams were all I heard before I felt my body hit the ground.

————————

Two years prior

'Why did he do it?'

It was cold. My body felt numb, it was as if I couldn't move.
The frosty wind was hitting up against my face, turning it rosy.

My breathing felt shallow as I stared upon his gravestone.