In the Bleak Midwinter

(Zindelo's P.O.V.)
I walk into the barn to have a talk with the Red Dogs. I stop once I notice someone else. My jaw and fist clench in annoyence as he turns around. "Inspector Campbell" I greeted him, trying not to sound annoyed. "Ah, I was wondering when you where going to show up" he said to me without looking towards me. I mentally roll my eyes and walk forward. "You have information for me?" He asked and turned to me. "What info?" I asked him. I knew exactly what for information he wanted from me. "The guns your twin stole" he told me and roughly stepped into my personal space, "where are they". "I dont have time to find your missing guns" I growled at him. "Do I have to remind you that you work for me" Campbell said. My eyes looked around the bar and I saw all of the Red Dogs. Every single one of them had a threathning pose. One that told you that I was not the leader, just another person under command of Campbell. I had a lot of difficulty to stay collected because someone was disresepcting me. I turned to Campbell ignoring the Red Dog's. "I suggest the next time we speak. You get me the guns, before we tell your brothers you are betraying them" he told me. I clenched my jaw in anger and watched him smirk. "You've always been a spy. You've done the work during ww1. But instead of gaining secret information of the Central Powers. This time its from your family" Campbell stated with a laugh.

(Arthur's P.O.V.)
I scoffed as I saw Zindelo talking with Campbell while Red Dogs surrounded them. "Once a spy, always a spy. Huh, John-boy" I said shaking my head. In the beginning of the war Zindelo was actually a spy for the allies. Providing secret information from the enemy. But once he got found out he turned into the deadly sniper called 'silent reaper'. "Let's go" I said and walked back to the car, "let's inform, Tommy".

About 2.5 hours later Zindelo walked into the private room of the Garrison. Me and John sitting just beside Tom. There was a tense atmosphere between us brothers. Both me and John angrily glaring at Zindelo. Tommy was his usual calm self and Zindelo, well he was still trying to show his loyalty. "John. Arthur. Can you leave me and Zindelo. I want to talk with him under two pairs of eyes" Tommy ordered the two of us. John protested but Tommy was quick to tell him to leave. With frustration we both left Tommy's office. "I don't trust him, Arthur. Don't trust him" John said sitting down in another booth. "Me neither" I said and eyed the door. But not long later. Zindelo was roughly pushed out of the private room. He fell to the ground and looked up at an angry yet deadly calm Tom. "Get him" Tom told me and John and the two of us got up and grabbed our brother. Immediatly everybody knew what was happening. Not only by the way we dragged Zindelo across the streets towards the cut. But also by the way he was loudly yelling that we are making a mistake. The scene also made everyone more afraid of what the Peaky Blinders could do if they handled their own blood so roughly. Zindelo tried getting loose and groaned everytime he got hurt by us gripping him tighter or pushing his arm further up his back. Almost breaking it. John and I threw Zindelo onto the dirty ground right in front of the edge of the cut. Tom nodded his head telling us to move aside.

(Zindelo's P.O.V.)
"You know what's going to happen" Tommy said from behind me. I nodded as I saw Charlie's boat floating towards the edge and stopping in front of me. "Stand up, Sonny" Tom said using my nickname, I couldn't detect any hint of emotion. No pain, no sorrow, no grief. I rose to my feet and looked ahead of me. The water softly splashed against the wall. Behind one of the buildings across the cut, I saw a Red Dog sneakily peeking out. I turned around and faced my twin. "I remember you always saying 'if you have one bullet and were faced between an enemy and a traitor. Let the traitor have it'" Tommy continued. "I never truely understood what you meant. But now I do" Tommy told me. "Because an enemy can become an alley. But a traitor will forever remain just that". "Tom, listen to me" I said desperate. "Shut up" Arthur said and punched me. My head snapped to the side and I felt blood trickle doen my nose. "You have to listen to me!" I yelled ignoring my oldest brother. Tom ignored me and just loaded his gun and pointed it at me.

(Tommy's P.O.V.)
Never had I seen fear consume Zindelo. Maybe he was afraid to die after all. His breath quickened as he closed his eyes and turned around to face the water once more. "Just bury me to the east for the sunsets. I've always enjoyed them more than the sunrises" he said and I could hear a hint of a smile. Silence filled the air, only a couple of lonely bird chirped and the water splashing against the cut. "In the Bleak Midwinter" I whispered before pulling the trigger.

Blood splattered onto my face and Zindelo fell forward into Charlie's boat

Blood splattered onto my face and Zindelo fell forward into Charlie's boat. I looked over towards my brothers. They too had an empty expressions on their faces. I could tell they wanted to mourn the loss of a brother, but they couldn't because of what he did to us. Well, what they think he did to us. If only the two of them knew the real truth.

Published: 29th of june 2022