fifty seven; the last time

Another day, another glee club lesson centred around Rachel. The only thing different about this week was Beiste being back from a hiatus (where he transitioned) and Sam's subsequent excitement while scouring the Internet to be the perfect ally.

Vee sighed as she stared at the dreadfully slow ticking of the clock, every movement mocking her boredom. She was leaning against her seat with her combat boots resting on top of the chair, a hot cup of coffee (made with lots of sugar and milk) in hand. The choir room was filled with chatter from newbies and giggles from alumni, all while Vee waited for Sam and Rachel to show up.

The empty seat (which she'd been saving for the blonde) had been taken after Mercedes had decided to slide into it. Vee shot her a quick smile, uncrossing her arms as she sat up properly.

"Hey," Mercedes said. Without giving Vee a chance to answer, she then asked (as casually as she could): "What happened to us?"

Taken aback, Vee was trying hard to find the words to respond. But to do that, she had to know what message she was trying to convey. And she most certainly did not. The answer seemed simple — her fling with Sam caused a rift between Vee and both halves of the couple individually, leading to irreparable damage to their relationship. But she and Sam had been doing just fine.

Maybe it was the fact she never properly allowed herself to get angry at Mercedes for her (at the time) life-shattering betrayal. She tried as hard as she could to break the stereotype and stay friends with her best girl, never letting a stupid boy come between their forever bond. Unfortunately, that may have led to built-up resentment, a fear of intimacy, and a tinge of jealousy.

"Well ... I guess the Sam thing happened," Vee answered truthfully.

"Oh," she nodded curtly, pursing her lips in a fashion akin to Rachel or Quinn.

"I know that's not what you want to hear," Vee admitted, sighing. "I never let myself feel the pain of the whole thing on your end. With Sam, it was so easy to scream and cry and yell. Not so much with you. I think I needed time to heal, but ... not expressing myself somehow turned into the opposite of that."

"Not that I had a right to be angry ... you know ... he was never mine," Vee quickly added.

Mercedes shook her head with a look of disbelief. "Yeah, right. You were both head over heels for each other."

Vee let a small smile show on her face. It was often that she dwelled on the past, thinking about memories of high school and reminiscing about her thriving social life. She just never thought other people shared the same opinion of her.

"Sure. At least I was. I think he fell for me eventually, but I was always the lost puppy following him around. Even when I was supposed to be angry at him, I kept being too nice to him. This whole thing was so high school," she shook her head.

"Not as high school as the other weird crap that went down," Mercedes cracked a smile.

"Definitely, I mean, who can forget me and Quinn going emo for two months?" Vee cringed at the memory.

Before they could slip back into an uncomfortable silence, Rachel came in confidently, strutting with determination as she stood before the club.

"Okay, you guys, let's get started on this week's lesson," she announced with faux excitement coating her voice. "It is called Buckeye bull's-eye, featuring all artists from Ohio!"

Vee shot Mercedes a look that reeked of uncertainty and questioning. Ohio artists? And she thought Mr Schue's ideas were worn out and tacky. Maybe Sam's hijacking of the lesson to help out Rachel was needed ...

𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐫 || gleeOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara